Thread: Bandsaw Blade Choice

Bandsaw Blade Choice

I have been using a different blade in my bandsaw for resawing as I do for other cuts. Last night I was attempting some rip cuts and getting really bad wondering. Do you use a different blade on your bandsaw for cross and rip cuts (like most, including myself) do on a tablesaw?

Tell us about the blade you were using for ripping.

I have a Trimaster on my bandsaw and it rarely leaves it. I use it for everything.

I'm curious about your setup and technique...what kind of bandsaw?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Mostly I was curious about what others were doing in this situation for future reference.

For the work I was doing last night wasn't neat and exacting work. As such, I put the free Grizzly stock blade back on the saw (a G0513X2). Doesn't everyone have a cheap beater blade around for each of their saws?

My first task on the to do list was cross cutting some pressure treated 2x4 stock for the short pieces for my truck cap rack (PIP). The next task was making more shelf pegs for my lumber rack. The pegs are 2x3s but I had some really nasty crooked, bowed, and twisted kiln-dried (non-PT) 2x4s pieces I had around. Obviously, to make a 2x4 into a 2x3 you rip off the excess and these were the cuts where the blade was wondering more than it cut straight.

I'm not particularily worried that the saw isn't cutting straight or about the wandering, but interested in if others use different bandsaw blades for crosscutting versus ripping on the bandsaw.

I just put one blade on and leave it, though I don't do any tight curves. 3 tpi 1/2 inch Bimetal by Morse.

I rarely change bands. I primarily use a 3/8" 4 TPI or a 1/2" 3 TPI.

I'm told the band that comes with your griz is only good for keeping the wheels from rattling in the crate.

Pete

+1 to what Pete said about the supplied Grizzly blade - it may be useful for something, certainly not for cutting

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    I'm told the band that comes with your griz is only good for keeping the wheels from rattling in the crate.
    Very true. That said, I use one blade for rips, resaw and crosscuts. Its a bimetal 3/4" 2tooth. I use a second saw with either an 1/8" 14tooth or a 1/4" 6tooth for curves.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Mostly I was curious about what others were doing in this situation for future reference.

For the work I was doing last night wasn't neat and exacting work. As such, I put the free Grizzly stock blade back on the saw (a G0513X2). Doesn't everyone have a cheap beater blade around for each of their saws?

My first task on the to do list was cross cutting some pressure treated 2x4 stock for the short pieces for my truck cap rack (PIP). The next task was making more shelf pegs for my lumber rack. The pegs are 2x3s but I had some really nasty crooked, bowed, and twisted kiln-dried (non-PT) 2x4s pieces I had around. Obviously, to make a 2x4 into a 2x3 you rip off the excess and these were the cuts where the blade was wondering more than it cut straight.

I'm not particularily worried that the saw isn't cutting straight or about the wandering, but interested in if others use different bandsaw blades for crosscutting versus ripping on the bandsaw.
    I have used Suffolk blades for the most part with no problem, my larger blade is dull and I went to use the stock grizzly..... poor poor poor experience, absolute junk blade and the same results you have tracks all over the place. It's off now and I have to use a smaller blade until I can get something new ordered. I'd love a carbide, but still debating.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs