Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collector Decision -- Expert Advice Needed

Dust Collector Decision -- Expert Advice Needed

I have been told by the boss that I need a dust collector. Darn. I'm a very low-level hobbyist working out of a garage. Not a lot of dust being created, but that which is created does manage to cover everything in the garage. A point of constant consternation.

Anyways, since I will only have one machine on at a time, and my main dust creator is a table saw and sometimes a planer with various other small tools as well, I *doubt* I'll need a high-end system. In fact, I can probably surmise that something that runs of 110V would be sufficient.

Looking on Craigslist, there are two systems local being offered for sale. I would appreciate any insight on these and the price they're being offered. Basically, I would like to know if I there are any good reasons to pass them up for something else.

1) Jet DC-650 (650 CFM). Includes the dust collector itself, a pre-collector (trash can with a lid for inflow and outflow hoses), 25' of hoses, gates and some "Y's". Asking price is $250.

2) SECO UFO-90 1HP (650 CM). 2 shake felt polyester micron bags, 2 state dust separator top & fiber barrel, X10 remote control. Asking about $150.

Can I do better than either of these, or would one (or both) of these be a good value and I should jump on one? Need to make a decision soon.

Would appreciate any thoughts and opinions!

Thanks,
    Mark

There is another thread which is just above your post today in the Workshops section named "opinions about clear vue cyclones". The thread started in feb. I suggest you read it, and go to the clear vue website and look it over.

Whatever brand you buy, I suggest the vac include a cyclone. It traps almost all of the dust before it gets to the filter.

If your budget won't allow for a cyclone, check out the story on the Clear Vue site about modifying a Harbor Freight 2 HP to a 1 micron canister. Most interesting.

One word of advice, get a canister instead of a bag on a single stage. Cleaning filter bags is messy, nasty, dirty.
    Last edited by Greg Crawford; 04-16-2009 at 8:12 AM. Reason: Took out asthma

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Crawford View Post
    If your budget won't allow for a cyclone, check out the story on the Clear Vue site about modifying a Harbor Freight 2 HP to a 1 micron canister. Most interesting.

One word of advice, get a canister instead of a bag on a single stage. Cleaning filter bags is messy, nasty, dirty.
    I did look at the Clear Vue systems and they are probably a bit out of reach right now. Reading the site and reviews, they do look fantastic. Financial realities dictate my purchase be in a cheaper price-bracket, unfortunately.

Doesn't a pre-seperator function a lot like a cyclone, in that it removes much of the dust and particles before it reaches the bags on the collector? Adding one of those to a single stage system would be a huge benefit, I would think.

It does but it will take a hit on the flow too so I'd maybe go a bit bigger on the DC to offset or maybe instead add the Phil Thien baffle to the inside of the DC vs the pre-sep being used.
    Might want to google his site and read there too - it's designed more for those of us who don't want or won't pay the crazy prices they get for cyclones. You'll be amazed at what a few modifications can do to a basic DC at very little cost.

Live within the budget you have and want to spend and avoid the trap of spending way to much for what one really needs. Upgrading doesn't cost that much IF it turns out to be what you want/need in years ahead. Works great for me and everyone I've known if one is selective in initial buy - resale will be solid then

Good luck

As you will read, the CFM number boasted by the manufacturer are under their ideal conditions and not even close to what you will get when hooked to a machine. I understand the 110V only situation as I'm in the same boat. I suggest that you get the largest machine possible (based on the manufacturer's specs) that will work on 110V, probably 1 1/2HP on 12 gauge wire and a 20 amp breaker. 2HP will run on 110V but will likely need 10 gauge wire and a 30 amp breaker.

I had a jet 610 or 650 CFM dc. It did not move enough air to be effective. If you move the dc close enough to the machine in use the 1.5 hp should work. I think you will regret purchasing the 1hp machines. Compare impeller size as well as hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cooper View Post
    I had a jet 610 or 650 CFM dc. It did not move enough air to be effective. If you move the dc close enough to the machine in use the 1.5 hp should work. I think you will regret purchasing the 1hp machines. Compare impeller size as well as hp.
    Interesting. What did you upgrade to?

I appreciate all the advice given here. You guys are far more knowledgeable than I'll ever be. I was hoping to get a little more feedback on one of the systems I'm looking at. I realize that a 650CFM (supposedly), 1 hp system is definitely not optimal, but I'm on a tight budget and just want something that will cut down the dust. My shop is in a garage, so it's not clean to begin with, and I'm lucky if I get 1-2 hours in a week to work out there, so you can see that a space-aged DC system would be way overkill for me.

Considering that, below is a picture of a system on Craigslist that is local. They want $130 for it (no tax or shipping!). My primary dust-creator is an old Craftsman table saw (no dust port). I realize I'm being tempted by this particular DC because of the price ($130 is almost free!), but my needs are about as minimal as they can get. My life probably won't allow me to become more dedicated until my kids are in college (and one isn't even in kindergarten yet!). So...again, thoughts are appreciated and if the general consensus is still for buying a better system, I will go that route.

I am currently limited to 110V in the garage, btw.

This system is a:
    SECO UFO-90 1 HP collector (650 CFM)
    2 Shake Felt Polyester Micron Bags
    2nd Stage dust separator top & fiber barrel
    X10 Remote Control

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heck - for that kind of money I'd be all over it if all that stuff is included.
    No walk - run. Serious.

You know your budget, needs and understand there are some limitations to this setup. It likely will not be the last DC you own or it may be at that. It is reasonable as heck and you wcan always resell it for what you got in it I bet. So ..... run to get it before it's gone

BTW - if the need ever arose for extra umph for a specific project you can undo the pre-seperater and direct tie in the hose. It will give you more suction.
    I like it as is for most things
    Last edited by Bill Blackburn; 04-17-2009 at 9:26 AM.

what Bill said. Maybe you already running down the road as I just saw a flash outside my window

That's a pretty impressive setup for that amount of money. Snap it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Earl View Post
    what Bill said. Maybe you already running down the road as I just saw a flash outside my window

That's a pretty impressive setup for that amount of money. Snap it up!
    Yep, that was me! Running now. Thanks for the opinion.

Having been down this road, I would submit that the hoods and how you connect to the machine are more important than anything else. If you take the time to research, you will find that for nearly every collector on the market, the max cfm you get get through a 4" port is 350cfm. Doesn't matter if you have a 3000 cfm collector, 4" restriction in the duct, or at the port, will limit cfm to about 350.

I started with some 4" ports and some 5" ports. I've since modified tools to take 5" or 6" ports and I'm redone much of my duct and gates to upsize.

IMHO a 1HP collector will get sawdust but not the fine dust your significant other wants collected. A 1HP will reduce the amount of sweeping or vacuuming you do when cleaning up the shop. Also, if you are not able or willing to do over blade collection, the table saw will still make a big mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Having been down this road, I would submit that the hoods and how you connect to the machine are more important than anything else. If you take the time to research, you will find that for nearly every collector on the market, the max cfm you get get through a 4" port is 350cfm. Doesn't matter if you have a 3000 cfm collector, 4" restriction in the duct, or at the port, will limit cfm to about 350.

I started with some 4" ports and some 5" ports. I've since modified tools to take 5" or 6" ports and I'm redone much of my duct and gates to upsize.

IMHO a 1HP collector will get sawdust but not the fine dust your significant other wants collected. A 1HP will reduce the amount of sweeping or vacuuming you do when cleaning up the shop. Also, if you are not able or willing to do over blade collection, the table saw will still make a big mess.
    Joe -- very valid points. I agree that 1HP collection will not be a magic bullet for my dust woes. If, however, it is an improvement over nothing, then I'll be happy. Working in a garage, all kinds of junk flies into the garage whenever the door is opened, so it's unrealistic for me to expect to keep the place squeaky clean regardless. I do appreciate the insight, nonetheless.

Why not build a Thien seperator for the DC? Inexpensive and impressive preformance. I built one for my shop vac last week. About $20 to build with the fittings and such.

I would also look at the HF 2hp DC. I just got a print ad showing it for $179. Lots of OP on here have raved about it. Just need to get the financial advisor to free up some $$. However with summer coming on and yard work and boating season starting up I am sure $$ will go toward that stuff.