Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you sick of flattening chisel/plane irons?

Are you sick of flattening chisel/plane irons?

I have been using a Norton 220 grit diamond stone to flatten the backs of everything that comes into my shop for a few years now. I have been making a lot of molding planes for myself recently and got completely SICK of how long this takes. It only took 5-10 minutes but doing this 20 times on 20 new irons gets old fast.

I called toolsforworkingwood and explained my situation. The man that answered the phone suggested that I try the steel flattening plate (Kanaban) that they sell and which he uses. 5 minutes has been turned into 30 seconds or less... 5-10 swipes. I was pretty surprised but not completely convinced. I took out a 2" antique store special that I've put off flattening/using for 9 months due to preliminary results of how flat that back was. 2 minutes later I was done.

I only bought the 45 micron paste because I only want it to flatten these things. I don't know how the other options will work.

CHECK IT OUT!

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...egory_Code=THW

Glad you discovered this. You can buy various grits of carborundum powder from places like the Japan Woodworker or Hida Tool that are cheaper than most of the pastes and this will make short work of the backs of even the mega-hard Japanese chisels and plane blades.
    David DeCristoforo

I think I prematurely aged my DMT coarse\xtra coarse stone by continually flattening all of my Shaptons.

The DMT still works pretty well for O1, but A2 is a slow grind. And after many long, hard (and very bloody) battles w/ my Hirsch chisel set, I'm tempted to try this.

David, are you saying "carborundum" is better than the diamond paste?

hmmm -

- jbd in Denver

"...are you saying "carborundum" is better than the diamond paste?"

No... not better... just way cheaper!
    David DeCristoforo

I've been using a kanaban for over twenty years but sooner or later you will get the kanaban dished but they are two sided so you can try to flatten or flip it over. It is the fastest method I've found.
    I just read the link to the Tools for Woodworking page and the only thing I don't agree with is the need to use your water stones for the final finish. You use as little water as possible with a small amount of carborundum powder and you keep rubbing the blade until the paste dries out and you lessen the pressure on the blade as you finish when the paste is completly dry. Look at the blade should be completely polished like you had used your finest stone. You keep breaking down the powder until it becomes a polishing powder and it's done. Although the carborundum does impregnate the steel over time it does dish out the plate. I've done it.
    Last edited by Charlie Mastro; 04-14-2008 at 2:44 AM.
    Charlie Mastro
    Mastro Woodworking & Design
    Joseph, OR

Charlie,

So in your experience, what's the expected lifespan of a kanaban that's used primarily with coarse grit carborundum powder?

It took quite a few years before I noticed it because I didn't think it would so I didn't check it. I'm suggesting you check it like you would your stones after a year or so. I used small sections and moved around a lot so I think that helped. Your milage may vary.
    Charlie Mastro
    Joseph, OR

Can someone tell me with which grit carborundum you start the process? Thanks -Howard
    Last edited by Howard Pollack; 04-14-2008 at 10:43 AM.

Mine is #180 and #230 I don't think it much matters as long as it's not a lot finer. Just like you were using sandpaper the finer the grit the longer it will take.
    Charlie Mastro
    Joseph, OR

Quote Originally Posted by John Dykes View Post
    I think I prematurely aged my DMT coarse\xtra coarse stone by continually flattening all of my Shaptons.

The DMT still works pretty well for O1, but A2 is a slow grind. And after many long, hard (and very bloody) battles w/ my Hirsch chisel set, I'm tempted to try this.

David, are you saying "carborundum" is better than the diamond paste?

hmmm -

- jbd in Denver
    you have it the other way around it is the steel that is wearing out the stones fast. I have used my dmt's on my shaptons for 2 years with no issues but it never touches steel. I have worn out more diamond stones sharpening steel but never oen flattening stones.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I was a foreman of 140 year old diamond tool company for a few years and diamonds are not ment to grind soft steel.. The soft steel pulls the diamonds out of the matrix that holds them to gether..

They do much better grinding very hard steel like carbide..

To dress a diamond wheel all you need to do is grind some stainless steel and it will ture the wheel just like you use a diamond to ture a A/O wheel..

I have a big DMT and use it only to dress my bench stones..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

I don't use iron planes or new chisels, only woodie planes and some specialty metal planes and only old chisels, so have never flattened the soles or backs, never needed to just sharpen cutting edges and use them. To me so called Fettling= Fussing.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

13. Isn't that just a little lapping plate?

I have several plane irons that are new and old (more than 50). I have several chisels that are new and old (more than 25). The number of these cutting edges that have not needed some work on the back side could be counted on one hand. I do not own an old molding plane iron or old chisel that did not need work. I wish I had your luck.

I am curious about the answer to Cliff's question - is the Kabana really just a flat surface for using the grinding powder or paste? Would a piece of granite or glas work just as well?
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...