Thread: New Oliver Lathe

New Oliver Lathe

Speaking of Oliver lathes, anyone have any comments on the new Oliver 2018 lathe?

That's the first I've seen of that. I'm an "Old Oliver" user and I love the old machine. I filled out the form for a price quote. It will be interesting to see how it compares to some of the other top of the line machines.

This place has it as well.

http://www.douglasmachine.com/Produc...&idproduct=285

It doesn't say Electronic Variable speed either. In that case it is not going to go very far in my opinion. EVS isn't a complete necessity but for around $4K I'd be wanting it.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Seems like the break between the two speed ranges is in exactly the wrong place, for me at least.
    Richard in Wimberley

Lowest speed is 200 which for a lathe of that price is too high.

It does have a VFD though. But I agree that 200 minimum seems rather high for a lathe equiped with a VFD. Probably a few parameter changes on the VFD would fix that though. It's an interesting headstock shape - very much like a Oneway. Ashame the turning radius is only 18" over the bed. I think most turners would want at least 20" in this price range. Would it really take that much more iron to raise the head and tail stocks an inch? Also, the width of the base seems rather narrow. I would really love to be a consultant on some of these machine designs. Dream job.

I noticed the large price difference ($700) between the Glenco site and the Douglas site.

I think I wood go with the Powermatic 3520B Its a great machine, lower speeds, and bigger swing.