Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: walnut vanity

wanut jewerly box

I made this box in 07 came close to selling it at a arts and craft show.I really like making small pieces.Had to stop too many no place to put So i started giving them as gifts that came to a end as soon as the wife found out.I was happy to sell one.First box i have sold this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Andrew, you have this dovetail thing down pat!! Great looking box, and again, like Chris, it just doesn't get much better than walnut. Put it with curly maple, or in this case curly birch, and the combination is unbeatable IMHO.

Incredible piece.

Greetings & Salutations,

Wow super work. Only wish I can someday achieve that quality.
    And to think it only took me 2 weeks 26 hours and 43 minutes to get that top flat.

Thats some beautiful work, that thing looks amazing!!

Well done!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

stunning! absolutely stunning!!!! I can't describe those pieces any other way. Sometimes it's really humbling viewing this site. Yet it is inspiring.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work. Great finish. Walnut is my wood of choice.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Beautiful craftsmanship and oh, that walnut!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by ANDREW HUGHES View Post
    Hi john ,I cut ten 1/8inch strips from 8/4 stock.The last one is figured.I used plastic resin glue and a mdf form.Since i planned on slicing up the apron i wanted very little spring back.I work well.The glue was hard on my chisels and irons.But the trade off was worth it very ridged.Thanks for commenting.
    Andrew,
    It's very beautiful indeed! That is some pretty walnut!

If I look at your drawers closely, I notice that the figured walnut flows seemlessly even though you cut them after your glue up. What did you use to cut your drawers out? Did you use a thin kerf TS blade, bandsaw or a surgical knife :-)?

Absolutely stunning wood and beatiful design! Very nice project, Andrew. Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Grain match on the drawer front with the crotch figure really makes it work. I like the piece from design to finish it is all outstanding!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ANDREW HUGHES
    Hi john ,I cut ten 1/8inch strips from 8/4 stock.The last one is figured.I used plastic resin glue and a mdf form.Since i planned on slicing up the apron i wanted very little spring back.I work well.The glue was hard on my chisels and irons.But the trade off was worth it very ridged.Thanks for commenting.

Andrew,
    It's very beautiful indeed! That is some pretty walnut!

If I look at your drawers closely, I notice that the figured walnut flows seemlessly even though you cut them after your glue up. What did you use to cut your drawers out? Did you use a thin kerf TS blade, bandsaw or a surgical knife :-)?

Andrew

Some serious craftsmanship happening here. The carefully selected grain patterns on the legs and top of the vanity, the perfect joinery,subtle but nicely chosen pulls(an oriental influence perhaps?) and the offset keyhole and handle are the things that separate fine craft from construction. A Krenovian like attention to fine details. Really nice work.

George

Love it!

The contrast between the walnut and ebony is very tasty. Beautiful attention to detail and craftmanship.

I used a band saw the blade is olsen .020 that has been sharpened several times and very little set left.couple of passes with a sharp iron and its ready.The apron was cut into five pieces.The top dovetailed into legs.Bottom of the apron double tenons into legs.middle glued back in place.hope this answers question.