Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna Platinum Jointer/Planer

Laguna Platinum Jointer/Planer

I need the capacity of a 16" machine, so I'm considering the Laguna. Does anyone have one of these?

Arnold, I was thinking of a smaller one some time ago and sent them an email asking if someone in my area had one that I could look at. They did respond to the email, but they said no one nearby had one so I went a different route. You might want to send them an email

Customer support

I don't know about the quality of their jointer planer, and am very curious also. I have an LT16HD bandsaw and am very hapy with it, not so sure of the customer service as have seen very many negative comments about that. Maybe take a look at the 16" Hammer combo.
    AH CRAP, I should've measured twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Gélinas View Post
    I don't know about the quality of their jointer planer, and am very curious also. I have an LT16HD bandsaw and am very hapy with it, not so sure of the customer service as have seen very many negative comments about that. Maybe take a look at the 16" Hammer combo.
    The Hammer costs double!

Hammer really?

My appologies, didn't know the Hammer was so expensive!
    AH CRAP, I should've measured twice.

I've been steered toward the Grizzly GO 660X, which is made in Germany. The price is considerably lower than the Hammer (about $5600 on sale). Does anyone have any experience with one of those? I was very surprised to find out that Grizzly imports a Euro machine...

The 16" Grizzly jointer/planer is not in their latest catalog. I read on the NC Woodworkers website of a member that recently got one, and stated they decided not to carry it any more. Shame as I was considering the big 16" bear as a future purchase; the quick-change knives look real sweet. And the offerings from Europe are not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold E Schnitzer View Post
    I need the capacity of a 16" machine, so I'm considering the Laguna. Does anyone have one of these?
    http://lumberjocks.com/topics/7685

Here's a link to a sort of review for a woodworker who wasn't so happy with that machine.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

I have decided against the Laguna Platinum, and also against the Grizzly 660. When I contacted Grizzly, they could not give me a reason why that machine is no longer being sold. I don't want to be in the position of owning an expensive orphaned machine. My #1 now is the Hammer A3-41. But, at about $7500 plus accessories, it will stay on the wish list for a while...

Now on my short list is the Rojek MSP 415, thanks to a tip from a fellow Creeker. Currently on sale, about $2G's less than the Hammer. Made in the Czech Republic. Anybody?

Several years ago, Fine Woodworking mag did a comparison of J/P, and looked at Rojek, Minimax, Hammer and if I recall correctly, Laguna. Not sure why they left Felder out, but they did. Their conclusion was fairly predictable. The most expensive one, Minimax, won the pick, Rojek was last at the cheapest. The Rojek slot mortiser that I've looked at appeared perfectly usable, but a little rudimentary. I guess, what do you expect for saving some money.

Have you seriously considered a used machine? I think you could pick up a Hammer, or even Minimax or Felder used for less then the new Rojek price right now. I have the Felder, and while it is possible, it would take some serious abuse to hurt one of these. One of those higher cost machines also have easily sourced parts, and good support, something that worries me with asian built equipment.

You could call Felder or Minimax and ask what they have right now maybe. I get "special" used machine sales notices all the time, and their sales staff would probably be able to cordinate a sale of a "trade in" of another customer looking to upgrade, with you looking to buy. Good luck!

The AWFS is coming up in Vegas this July and there are usually sales from all the manufacturers around this time -- you can probably pick this machine up for less money. I have the A3-31 and love the machine and the 16 inch capacity would be nice. I agree to check for used -- there can be some very good deals if you are patient, although I have not seen many Hammers listed in my area.

Scot

I own 1 and it the 16", The quality of cut is fabulous absolutely no complaints, mine came with a brake on the motor and i believe this feature is being eliminated. I was getting chatter, just using the jointer and that is strange cause you can control feed and so fourth, what was happening was the brake was dragging, so they are suppose to eliminate the brakes. other than that no complaint, where else are you going to get a 16" jointer that cuts perfectly for that price. And i use the jointer far more than the planer, im a bit to lazy to convert it.

+1 on the Hammer.

The Rojek rep insinuated that Hammer now makes its machines in a plant in China, and that you can observe the inferiority of their castings by using a magnet. It really bothers me when salespeople beat on their competition. Michael, which machine do you have?