Thread: Any Experience With This Company?

Any Experience With This Company?

I just last night receive a small set of router bits from MLCS. The reviews on Amazon were very very positive, and the fact that I and just starting with routers I bought them. The set is a 15pc with what looks like a decent selection for $39.95

They also put in the box their catalog. They have a Router Table top with fence for $199. I am looking for a router table top that will fit on my Workmate.

Any thoughts on this?

mlcswoodworking.com
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-18-2009 at 3:25 PM.

Jerry,
    I bought the 160pc set from MLCS several years ago, while the bits are OK I must say you get what you pay for especially with the larger bits. What I do like about buying the larger sets is it will allow you at a reasonable price to have a wide range of profiles available, then as the bits you use most dull replace with a higher quality bits such as CMT, Whiteside or the ones I have settled on has having a high quality at reasonable prices Eagle America. But be careful if you choose to try Eagle America they now sell a low end line of bits called Price Cutter which I would assume to be comparable to MLCS (just as a side note MLCS does offer a higher end bit the Katrina). Here is their link eagleamerica.com
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-18-2009 at 3:26 PM.
    David

Blog Entries
    My experience with MLCS has been mixed. I have pretty much run out of their router bits as they get replaced with ones that last longer and are worth sharpening (Whiteside, Freud, Amana). That doesn't mean they are not good, I have just kind of changed the way I handle router bit inventory. They are a great place to pick up a bit you want to try but are not sure you will stay with. If you use the heck out of a certain profile you can upgrade when appropriate.

I can't speak to the MLCS table tops. I will say that you should ponder this decision well. Your table of choice generally determines your fence and plate choices. I have used Rockler tables but modified them for Woodpecker plates. Rockler's fence is somewhere in the middle of the pack but has served me well for years.

When just starting out I found this and other forums to be of a great value in gathering info about things. I went the direction I did partially due to comments here. Very helpful.

When deciding on your table top (there are a few clever ways to adapt to a Workmate out there) I would peruse these vendors:

MLCS -
    you already have and my comments are above.

Rockler - rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=90
    I went this way; simple but solid design.

Woodpecker - woodpeck.com/routertopsmain.html
    Solid stuff but their fences get a bit involved (not a bad thing necessarily).

Peachtree - ptreeusa.com/routerTables.htm
    Right around the MLCS level. Their fences are a weak spot, quality-wise.

There are many more (Kreg, Lee Valley, Sommerfeld, etc.) but I tried to stay in the $$ area that you are looking. There are also other low price lines (Eagle America, Hartville Tool, etc.). Enjoy the journey and ask lots of questions but especially ask for owner's thoughts on their tables. Nothing beats a hand-on report ;-)
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-18-2009 at 3:26 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,

Thanks. I just ordered a Rockler catalog...it looks like their top for my Bosch 1617 is just what I'm looking for.

I've had good luck with MLCS bits. Their Katana line is very good. Their customer service is excellent, too. I've called and emailed them and have had my questions/concerns answered quickly.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

i've dealt with them for years without any problem. I recently purchased their Rosette cutter head and 7 piece set and it works great.