Thread: Low cost finish sprayer?

Low cost finish sprayer?

Just spent 2 hours hand-brushing varnish onto a shop cabinet and am realizing there has to be a better way!

I have a big compressor, but I don't think it could keep up with an HVLP gun.

Is there a reasonably-priced option for spraying finishes that doesn't require a compressor?

Jason

I did a brush finish on my bedroom doors prior to having cataract surgery. Couple of weeks ago I decided to remove the doors on the closets and got a good look at them in the bright light. I will never do a brush finish again, the surface of the doors looked like it was done by a blind person. I too am looking for a good HVLP unit but not one that will break the bank. I will probably get a unit that is not compressor driven. I have a couple of compressors but neither will keep up with most HVLP gun's needs. They do make a gun that requires less volume and pressure than many of the standard HVLP guns but I haven't done enough research on it to make an intelligent decision or recommendation.
    There is a rub on finish that will work if you like to do a lot of sanding. A friend of mine did a dining room table that he put 12 coats of hand rub finish on and fine sanded in between every coat. It looked like a mirror finish when he was done. (not sure if it is called a rub on finish, but he applied it with a soft cloth material)
    David B

There is a small HVLP with turbine that both Woodcraft and Harbor Freight carry. It it the same unit, with different stickers. I know because I've bought both of them. I use it for all my spraying needs. Just make sure you clean it well between uses.
    On sale you can find it for around $70 give or take a bit.
    It's served me well for several years.

Is it this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66297

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Gooding View Post
    There is a small HVLP with turbine that both Woodcraft and Harbor Freight carry. It it the same unit, with different stickers. I know because I've bought both of them. I use it for all my spraying needs. Just make sure you clean it well between uses.
    On sale you can find it for around $70 give or take a bit.
    It's served me well for several years.

Rockler has a decent one that i have been using. I like it except that i wish the hose would attach to the gun better .
    Epilog mini 24 with 45 watts
    X3
    More wood working tools then I deserve

Jason,
    Nope, it's this one:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44677
    I believe Rockler also has it.

Here is the Rockler one. I have this one but I purchased it at Harbor Freight. I love it. Works well, and sprays beautifully. I spray water based products with it with no thinning.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...69&filter=hvlp

if you have a large compressor what makes you think it could not drive an HVLP gun?

Similar recent "low cost sprayer" thread in the Finishing Forum.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109955

9. Since the pressure is so low, any compressor should be able to keep up with the volume. Also, Wagner now has an HVLP gun with the turbine pump built into the unit. No compressor, just a power cord. Haven't used one, but it looks interesting. $62 on Amazon. http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...41780,747.html

The Wagner Non-Bleeder HVLP Conversion Gun is resonably priced and does a good job and being a non-bleeder it works well with even little compressors. Unlike a bleeder which has the air running all the time, the non-bleeders only run the air when the trigger is pulled so it doens't need a lot of air.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by James Fleming View Post
    Since the pressure is so low, any compressor should be able to keep up with the volume.
    Hmmm, I didn't know that.

Anyway, I have the cheap sprayer (got mine from Woodcraft). I really like it. I've sprayed shellac, waterbased lacquer, and even thinned latex paint with it. Unlike the better guns, if spraying paint, you'll have to practice with the viscosity. Also, the flow rate is probably not as precise as the better guns, but it really does a fantastic job for under $100. As long as you practice first, you can get great results with it.

Jason,

Few of us had posted on this gun from gleem paint. It works great. The guys at this shop will answer any of your questions about what your spraying too.

I've been using mine for about 6yrs. I bought after reading Jim B. review on here. Been very happy.... fact I am about to shoot in about 1hr...

It says Wagner but I believe this is made by CA Tech. who make many guns. I have never seen it in a store.

Gleem makes a few minor changes and addition to the gun.

It's a non bleeder (no air constantly coming out)

It cost $129

I have 2 of these. One for clear and one for paint... It's not the perfect gun to spray for paint but it works for me. For cabinets I shoot sherwin williams pro classic, thinned about 10% (one gun setup) and the other gun shoots Target USL and other clears, even shellac.

Why 2 guns, I like to keep one gun ready for paint and the other for clears.
    It takes about 5mins to change needles, so I am prob. just being lazy. Plus I like the extra insurance that my clear will not pick up any paint I didn't get cleaned out.

http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html

I used it on a pancake compressor for years. 2yrs ago I bought a larger compressor at Sears one day. The CFM at 40psi was about 2x higher and made a huge difference.

One lesson I learned was if your compressor has low CFM at the 40psi rate, you MUST make sure the gun is design around it. If not, most guns will just suck (no pund) all the volume and leave a not so desired finish.

If I would to start all over. I would email Jeff Jewitt your CFM at 40psi, the most $$ you can spend and what you most likely will shoot. And buy it from Jeff. Probably one of the nicest, most upfront guy you'll ever chat with...

-Peter

Fine Woodworking did an article on low-cost finishing sprayers. I got my idea from them on using a low-cost HVLP sprayer from Harbor Freight to use with my small twin-tank Emglo compressor. This is the one contractors use to drive their nail guns. This compressor will not supply a full size spray gun, but the unit works well with HVLP units; mine has the material cup on top. I thin my finishing material approx. 50% with great results.