Thread: Has anyone ever mounted a grinding wheel on the outboard side?

Post Has anyone ever mounted a grinding wheel on the outboard side?

I was thinking (scary I know) it would be real handy to have an 8 or 10 grinding wheel on the outboard side of the headstock.

Anyone here done it?

As always, comments and opinions are welcome

I thought about it and then I thought when I reach up to slow the lathe when shutting down to check something on the turning using the hand wheel I am afraid I wouldn't have any hide left on my hand.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Good point Bernie!

Maybee not such a good idea.

My lil Harbor frieght lathe came with a 6" sanding disc so I'm not in the habit of slowing the work in that manner.

Do you want something easily available to touch up your chisels? PSI has a Chisel Mate, it's just a plexi disc with PSA paper mounted on the INBOARD side of the headstock, and you could touch up the chisels eaisly. May be something you want? I don't personally own one, but I remember thinking that was a good idea. But at 20 bucks, maybe not. You can buy a small plexi blank and buy a 1X8 TPI nut. Or whatever size your lathe is.
    And you can use the outboard handle to slow the lathe without grinding off you skin.

Yeah Kyle, I figgure it would be real handy right there and already spinning
    Besides a bench grinder is gonna cost me over a hunnerd bucks whereas a grinding wheel can be had for under twenty.

I couldn't get along without my handwheel. A wooden handwheel that's 6 to 8 inches in dia. is a wonderful aid in turning.

They put those wheelguards on grinders for a reason. Also, a good accurate tool rest on a grinder is a must. I get exactly the same grind every time.

Wally

This has come up a few times before and the general consensus has usually been "don't do it". You don't want a grinding wheel running unguarded, if it were to shatter it would be like a small pipe bomb going off, dangerous shrapnel everywhere. Wheels are fragile and a random bump moving something in the shop could put invisible fractures in it. Also, you'd need to avoid speeds over the max rpm over the grinding wheel, usually about 3500 (not sure if that would affect your turning).

OK,,,

Thanks guys!

Just an idea

Please forgive the noob I'll be buyin a proper bench grinder...

My tool grinder is on a stand at the tail end of the lathe, so only a couple steps away.
    Richard in Wimberley

With your belt running at the far end of your lathe they way you have it, I don't know If I put a hand wheel back there. maybe in the middle of your spindle. As to a grinding wheel your are pretty ingenius with the way you are building your lathe. I don't see why you couldn't incorperate a grinding station at the end and that could include a wolverine jig . It would be very cost effective and convient. to bad you didn't have them turn down the end if the spindle to 5/8 lh (or what ever a grinder is) why it was at the machine shop.

Bob

On one of my Delta lathes, I have a countershaft with a buffing hone attached - great for a quick touch up, and I still have my handwheel.

Yes, I did it on my Mercury. I also put a mount for the Wolverine arm below it. I did this to avoid hauling a grinder to any demos I might take the lathe to. It works great.
    I would never put on on my regular lathe though.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell View Post
    With your belt running at the far end of your lathe they way you have it, I don't know If I put a hand wheel back there. maybe in the middle of your spindle. As to a grinding wheel your are pretty ingenius with the way you are building your lathe. I don't see why you couldn't incorperate a grinding station at the end and that could include a wolverine jig . It would be very cost effective and convient. to bad you didn't have them turn down the end if the spindle to 5/8 lh (or what ever a grinder is) why it was at the machine shop.

Bob

Thank you Bob, I am flattered:shy:
    I still haven' had the jack shaft machined for the grove for the pulleys so I was thinking of having the nose turned down and threaded for a big grinding wheel. I likely won't due to the logistic constraints but its one of those ideass ya just gotta ponder.