Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I lost it?

Have I lost it?

Ok, I admit to looking at wood differently than I did a short time ago. I used to look at only clear flat boards and dream of what I could build with them. Now I look at stuff that normally would end up in my fireplace and wonder what it would look like as a bowl or platter.

We are clearing off a couple areas where we had some Christmas trees growing for a long time to make way for some wheat while we get the fertility back where it needs to be for trees again. As I'm hauling stumps and roots to the burn pile I spy a couple White Pine stumps that are nice shape yet, not split or cut from the ripping disc we used, and a thought crosses my mind.........

"I wonder what that 9" stump would look like made into a small bowl?"

Have I lost my mind???????
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

It's all part of the territory (vortex)... no you and your mind are fine. Don't fight it.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Matt - give it a try but be aware that pine can become a sticky mess if there is any sap/pitch. At the very least - it makes for good practice wood! Have fun with it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    When my lathe was first bought and there wasn't anything to turn, a trip to the fire wood pile changed that.

jim

Your only as wacky as the rest of us. Of course that might not be good...

Ditto what Steve said. Some Pines can make a big mess if you hit a bad pocket of sap. It can get everywhere.

Alex

Matt, you haven't lost it, you have actually found it.

Matt, Got any Noble Fir stumps? Nice turning wood. Saved some from our Christmas tree.
    Richard in Wimberley

That all sounds normal to me.
    You left out the part of collecting wood on the side of the highway.
    Also trying to figure out what type of logs are on the truck bound for
    the sawmill, etc.

At least I'm in good company.

Nope, no Noble Firs, they don't grow very well here but I do have some Balsam and Fraser bases left in the field yet from where we cut last fall. I believe me I know about sap, when cutting in the fall on a warm day you are quite literally covered in it.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

You aren't crazy. At least I wouldn't say so but everytime I'm with my cousin and I make the slightest mention of wood he just rolls his eyes now because I just examine every tree I pass when I'm driving and think about what I could do with it. He thinks i've gone insane.

Don't worry, Matt, you'll have alot more fun now that you've lost it (you will of course experience moments of sheer frustration because you can't just walk up to you're neighbor's tree and cut that massive burl off). But, if you do manage to find a super quiete chain saw for those moments (make sure your neighbor is asleep before removing the burl), let us know.
    Last edited by Tim Cleveland; 04-20-2009 at 7:56 PM.

When it comes to checking out the trees I've been doing that for years already. Pretty cool to walk up to a tree and get a close guess to the amount/percentage of clear and #2 lumber in one, some people think I have waaay to much time on my hands to be able to do that.

I just wish I hadn't had all the lumber I sawed the last time made into 4/4, but thats why God made glue I suppose.

I must say I think this slippery slope is even steeper than the one for hand planes. Sure hope there is a big soft air bag at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ranum View Post
    I must say I think this slippery slope is even steeper than the one for hand planes. Sure hope there is a big soft air bag at the bottom
    Don't think there is a bottom, Matt (at least if there is, I have yet to hit it).

Tim

Matt, That 4/4 lumber is very handy for segmented and stave projects.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Matt, That 4/4 lumber is very handy for segmented and stave projects.
    I was actually wondering about that but most appear to be beyond my skill level at the present time. I'll be trying my hand at one soon though I'm sure of that.

First thing though is getting my unit to turn slower with a variable drive but as $$$ is very very tight at the moment I'm trying to find the parts to do it via the treadmill motor. I admit it, I'm cheap. If at all possible I usually try and build stuff instead of buying it, to a point anyway, I mean if I NEED a tool and am going to use it steady then I don't mind spending for Delta or Jet equipment but for the spare time hobby stuff cheap is best for me anyway.