Thread: Wheelchair Accessible miter saw station

Wheelchair Accessible miter saw station

Hey there everyone. I just got a little bored this weekend and decided to whip something up. This is my interpretation of a wheelchair accessible miter saw station. I made it with about 27" of clearance underneath. This allows me to roll right underneath to get close to the work and adjust the saw. It obviously isn't finished yet, I need to put a covering on the extensions left and right. I did make one mistake and that is I made it too deep. I forgot to take in consideration that the saw isn't going to sit all of the way into the station and that it needs to stick out some in order to make the miter adjustments. I will cut it down some when I get my shop built and this becomes a permanent fixture. But I might end up deciding that I like it this deep and keep it, I don't know. Let me know what you think.

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

saw station

Chuck, it looks like it out to work out well. Before I saw the pictures I was thinking desk-like structure to be able to scoot under. I might like to be off to the left side a bit when operating the saw, but it looks like there is enough room for that. Looks VERY stout and I hope it works well for you. Russ

Nice Job Chuck!!

I have an 11 year old son in a wheelchair (Spina Bifida) and every time he comes into the shop, I begin thinking again about what I should start doing with my equipment to give him accessibility to it.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Godshall View Post
    Nice Job Chuck!!

I have an 11 year old son in a wheelchair (Spina Bifida) and every time he comes into the shop, I begin thinking again about what I should start doing with my equipment to give him accessibility to it.

Thanks for the inspiration!
    You sir are exactly why I am doing these things. I am starting my mission to build a workshop that is entirely wheelchair accessible. When I started looking for information on ways to do this I found nothing. That is why I am posting all of this stuff. So it is kind of like an archive. Please feel free to give me any ideas that you might have. This is only the beginning. Thank you for the inspiration.

Chuck

Chuck,

I've seen radial drill presses that mounted to a steel table like a stock feeder. This might be a good way to make a drill press accessible.

Here is a web site that has info about wood working with disabilities that you might want to post your stand on,
    Scott
    http://www.ableworkshop.com/index.html

I like it Chuck. It is something I'd like to have if I had the room. The extra depth may not be a bad thing because it can be very handy to have a place to toss those short keeper cut-offs while you're cutting. I hate it when things drop to the floor because it's a job in itself to pick them back up.

Mine is is just a three sided box with a top and no bottom. It rolls around for easy storage when not in use. I've used it for years and never get around to improving it. It's very basic though, so I like your design better.
    Don

Chuck
    You might want to mosey over to woodnet if you've never been there, there's a guy that goes by KenC who is also in a wheelchair and does some real neat stuff with aluminum extrusions. I don't know if he is on this board or not, maybe he will chime in.