Thread: What Collet chuck system do you pros use?

What Collet chuck system do you pros use?

I'm looking into purchasing a collet chuck & was wondering what is the most preferred one? I bought the one from Woodcraft,but it is going back;I don't like it. Any thoughts on the Axminster Jr. chuck?
    Thanks in advance for the info.
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC

Not an answer, just another question...

John,

If you don't mind, could you tell us what you didn't like about the collet chuck you got from Woodcraft? I, too, have been thinking about getting a set of collets and it would be nice to know what others like and dislike about those that are available.

I think that most will recommend the Beall collet chuck but i bought the Penn State Industries collet chuck. I have really enjoyed the chuck and I use it quite often. When I got a new lathe, I did have to buy the PSI spindle adpater so that it fits both of my lathes. Works well.
    All the best.

Don

I don't have a collet chuck, but in all the articles and books I've read that have a project were you need one or that are just talking about using a collet chuck, they all recomend the Beall.

Tim

For a precision collet chuck setup, the use of one that goes right into the spindle would be best, however they use a bigger MT normally.
    Lee Valley carries a nice set, that screws onto the spindle, you can purchase it one piece at the time or buy the whole set, have a look here.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,330,49238
    Have fun and take care

The set from Lee Valley looks like identical to the Beall that I have. It is very well made; uses ER-32 collets (you can get them from other sources for less money). The only downside is I have both 1" X 8 & 1-1/4" X 8 lathes; I don't like to use spindle adapter if I can.

I also have the set from Woodcraft. It uses the #2 Morse Taper. It can be used on both lathes. It also comes with 9 collets, but the largest size is only 5/8". There is 3/8" X 16 tpi threads tapped at the end of the Morse Taper, you have to make a draw bar for it.

I have not used a dial indicator to measure the runouts on either unit. But for woodturning, both are good.

The downside of the Woodcraft unit is you can't chuck up the middle of a long spindle like the Beall (as long as it is smaller than the through hole of your lathe spindle).
    Gordon

I looked around for collet chucks as well, and wound up with a set from Little Machine Shop I use them with a piece of 3/8x16 all thread that serves as a draw bar through my headstock spindle shaft.

Something I discovered the hard way, was that a MT alone is not stable enough and can work loose...unless you bring pressure from the tail stock or use a draw bar. That's why the Lee Valley option is probably better than the Woodcraft one...threads onto the spindle.

I have the Beall / Lee Valley set. High quality, well made, fully functional.
    Interesting in the Lee Valley photo they show the collet "not quite right". The face of the collet should be flush with the face of the "cap".

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

I bought the Beall and am satisfied with it. I looked at the Axminster but the range of collets is limited compared to the Beall. Whether you go with the Beall or LV it doesn't matter, they are probably both made in the same factory in China.