Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another 19th.C. style plane I made

Another 19th.C. style plane I made

This plane is about 18" long,with a 2 1/2" wide 01 iron.The body is made of 3/16" thick black iron.I like to round the nose as it makes the plane a bit safer against damaging the wood.

The main feature of this particular plane is that it is stuffed with genuine Cuban mahogany. Real Cuban mahogany is as heavy as ebony (it seems),and extremely hard. As seen in the side view,real crisp corners can be made in it.

These pictures did not scan real sharp.You can barely make out the name on the handle(or,at least see that it is there.)

This is not a copy of any other plane,but has 19th.C. style features.I especially enjoy designing handles.

I sawed and filed out the cap from 1/2" brass.I also made a special tap to thread the acme style threads that you can see going through the cap. The knob is nice and "stacked up". Again,the knurling is hand filed into the knob. It looks like the knurling on the knob is crooked in the side view,but that is a reflection in the polished brass.

The bottom of the sole is scraped and flaked,though I did not take photos of that.

This now belongs to a collector in Oregon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-20-2009 at 11:19 PM.

George, do you some time sale some of your tools?

I used to,David.Right now I'm trying to get my stuff from Williamsburg in order in the home shop,and doing shelving,etc..

4. He says it is now owned by a collector in Oregon so he probably does sell tools from time to time...
    But I don't think it is 18' long, probably 18" long. That would be cool if it was 18' long.

You got me on that one,Carl!!

I am thinking of making up some very pretty little chariot type planes from brass.They would be READY for polishing,and would have blades and stuffing. I'll put up a sketch I made soon. I have arthritis now,and do not feel like doing a lot of polishing. They would be less expensive to buy,and I think they are very artistic.
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-20-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Thank you George. Keep us in touch, I realy like your work!
    David

George,
    That looks delightful , for sure.But we need to see more photos, many more....
    I am interested in your tap for making the acme thread- would you mind describing how you made this? Did you turn the thread on the cap screw or did you have a die for this?

I turned the acme type thread on a lathe,but made the tap.The tap was just quick and dirty,but it worked perfectly.I often make a quick tap when repairing antiques that need a non standard,or left hand threaded part.

Sorry,but that is all the pictures I have of this plane. I also made the screw that holds the front grip on. I think one needs authentic style threads to really make the tools look right.
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-21-2009 at 8:58 AM.

Thumbs up

Beautiful work George. Based on what I've seen of your work, there's "woodworking", and then there's "Georgeworking"....two completely different leagues!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Broken Heart..

George, you're breaking my heart! It's most beautiful. WOW!

I love the shape of the tote George. Much nicer than the Norris or the Spiers.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

George, I think I read that you have LN planes also. Do you find that the LN have any advantage over your hand built ones? If I ever get my plane building skills refined I don't think I would own anything but what I made.

The LN planes have a definite advantage over mine: They do not have to be made!!!

Yes,I do have several LN planes,but not necessarily because I need them. It's because I am a tool pig.

As far as advantages of LN planes,they have adjustment knobs and levers,obviously. I could,and have made adjustable planes,but I used wooden planes for a long time,and rather like to adjust them with small brass hammers or mallets. Maybe I think it's "pure" or something,but when you learn how to do it,hand adjustable planes work just fine.

Thank you,Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Yes,I do have several LN planes,but not necessarily because I need them. It's because I am a tool pig.

Good answer! You and most of the rest of us.