Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who makes good Forstner bits?

Who makes good Forstner bits?

Who makes good Forstner bits? I have a Freud set which is great but I want to add the 16's in between (such as 5/16", 7/16", 9/16", 11/16", 13/16", etc.). I bought those bits from Lee Valley a while back but they're not close to the Freud - they clog and don't cut easily (and yes, I did sharpen them). I'd like to buy more Freud bits but I can't find them in 16ths.

Who do you recommend that makes Forstner bits in 16ths? (and not carbide, just HSS or even regular steel - I don't use them that much)

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Famag won the FWW tests with Grizzly rated best value. Rockler has a couple sets on sale right now. Don't know their quality over time but I have some of theirs that have done OK. They're not like my Freuds but at 22 pieces for $60, they're OK.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-21-2009 at 12:56 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks, Glenn. I went and looked up the Famag but they don't seem to make the Forstner's in 16ths, only in 8th's.

All I want is the 16ths between the bits in my Freud set.

Woodcraft has some no-name Forstner bits in 16ths. Anyone use them?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-21-2009 at 12:57 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Thanks, Glenn. I went and looked up the Famag but they don't seem to make the Forstner's in 16ths, only in 8th's.

Mike

Not sure but Bormax makes some darn good bits... not a total solution you you but:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1917

I own one 13/16 and it is better (by a small margin) than the Freud which say a lot!

Down side... price
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

MLCS has 1/16" up to 1"

Set #9159. They're no gems but work okay for occasional use.

I bought a set that Woodcraft had on Sale a few years back. I'm no expert but they seem to cut okay. Of course they are the only Forstners in my shop, so no way to compare...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike

I have some I have had for close to thirty years that are German I believe, and they say "Schlagring" or something close on them. Several of the set have hit nails and are beyond sharpening so I have had it in mind to search myself. I too have Freuds, but they are not as concise as the Schlagring steel bits.

I will look and let you know if I find them, and will watch this thread.....

Blog Entries
    +1 Freud bits

Mike,

Try this for FAMAG in the 16th sizes:

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...th/269_270_296

10. http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...es/forset1.htm

All sizes and the best part: "high quality steel"

Which, I suspect, is just whatever tool steel the factory has in house the day they are made.

Mike

WL Fuller in Warwick RI. They only make cutting bits and tools.
    Small company, family owned, and the person that answers the phone knows drill bits.

http://www.wlfuller.com/
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I am not sure which to tell you to get but I do know that I can say DON'T get the Rockler.

I got a set and they are junk IMO. I have replace 3 of them just because the center was so far off when I put them in the drill press they would make a circle in the wood trying to find center. Plus they don't cut that great.

There was a thread awhile back about Forstner bits but I can't remember who came out as the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Koury View Post
    Mike,

Try this for FAMAG in the 16th sizes:

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...th/269_270_296
    Thanks everyone for your information and suggestions. I'm going to order the Famag 16ths from traditional woodworker. I'd prefer to buy once and get a good set. Those should last me for my lifetime.

Mike

If you got a defective set of Rockler drill bits, why didn't you return them? I've had a set of Rocklers for years. I don't know if they are close to the best bits on the market, but for my uses they work fine.

Mike,

Freud now offers the Precision Shear Forstner bits in increments of 1/16" from 5/16" up to 15/16". Item numbers are:

PB-0015 - 5/16"
    PB-0025 - 7/16"
    PB-0035 - 9/16"
    PB-0045 - 11/16"
    PB-0055 - 13/16"
    PB-0065 - 15/16"
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.