Thread: inlay

inlay

say i have a vase that developes a crack. what would be a good inlay that would be putty like that would dry solid and be able to be sanded and finished with the rest. a red colored wood would look good with a turquoise streak or maybe another color. this would turn a cracked vase into a unique vase

I use 2 part epoxy, usually the 5 minute variety. Mix up both parts of the epoxy and then mix in the filler. I usually wait a few minutes until the resin starts to gel a little bit, otherwise it may run. Crushed turquoise, malachite, and coffee grounds are my favorites.

Jason

Sure Jim!

The answer for the inlay material is what ever looks good contrast wise with the vase and since this will be a "structural" as well as a "decorative" inlay, the infill base needs to be hardening in nature.

Post a pic of said vase and I will provide more input if you want.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I will take 5 minute epoxy and mix it with sanding dust from the vase I am working on. Mix a little dye or india ink (whatever color looks good) and fill the crack. Cheap and easy plus looks good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

vase

i still have to finish it. any ideas are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

picture

i didnt like that picture, too fuzzy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Turquoise, malachite, red crimson, ebony saw dust, inlace (variety of colors), all will work fine for that application.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

When I use Inlace I usually have to return the piece to the lathe to turn and sand off the excess. Coffee with CA glue can work well, quickly and easily with less need for turning but has only one color. Bernie's idea sounds interesting, providing some choices in color. They can all work and look great.

Marc Himes

vase

this is still set up to put back on the lathe. i can add the inlay and finish on the lathe. thanks for the input