Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Band Saw

New Band Saw

Hello,

I have been cutting my blanks for pens and bowls with a Crapsman contractors type table saw. The saw does more chopping than cutting, and I have been thinking of replacing it with a band saw instead. Does this make sense????

Harbor freight has their upscale G0555 band saw on sale right now for $375.00. If I wait until their tent sale in Springfield, Mo, will I save enough money to make the 17 hour drive worthwhile, or should I just order it now on sale?????

I thank you for your input. Quite frankly, I think the tablesaw is a missing limb waiting to happen, but what do you use for cutting blanks??

Thank You,
    Daniel Heine

I've used the Grizz G0555 for a bit over a year and am very happy with it.Beats the heck out of a tablesaw for blank cutting(and fingers too). I use a timberwolf 3tpi X 3/8" blade...Bill...

Sounds like your TS needs a new blade, maybe a carbide 40-tooth combination blade for general use. Mine is used for all sorts of stock preparation, plus cutting segments and compound staves. My sleds do clamp the wood in place, and also use various push sticks and the like to keep body parts away from the blade.

A BS is not really a substitute for a TS. But if you want/need one (I did), by all means get it. Mine gets a lot of use for jobs it does better than the TS. I assume that when Griz says "ball bearing blade guides" they mean the thrust bearings. I like the ceramic side guides.
    Last edited by Richard Madison; 04-22-2009 at 9:57 PM.
    Richard in Wimberley

Using a table saw to cut bowl blanks is asking for trouble. As I envision it, you would be doing a lot of cuts without the use of the fence and perhaps the mitre gauge. That means free-handing and I am glad I am not there to see that.

I have no knowledge of the bandsaw you mention and I still recommend it over a tablesaw.

Respectfully,
    Steve
    P.S. Tablesaw is great for cutting pen blanks and other spindle blanks, though.

Good point Steve. I do not cut bowl blanks on the TS. That is indeed chainsaw and bandsaw work.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Heine View Post

I have been cutting my blanks for pens and bowls with a Crapsman contractors type table saw.
    Hey Richard,
    Ya, I was more worried about Daniel's first sentence.
    Steve

Steve, Me too.
    Richard in Wimberley

you wrote "Harbor freight has their upscale G0555 band saw on sale right now for $375.00. If I wait until their tent sale in Springfield, Mo"

We do have a HF here in Springfield but Grizzly has the tent sale.. as you implied with G0555 catalog id.

Are you sure you want to wait?
    A 17 hour drive is a long trip with the possibility of not getting the bandsaw when you get here. It is a real mad house at the tent sales.. I live here and I do not go.... always sold out of what I want.

Harbor Freight and upscale don't seem to go together in the same sentence. However, get the best, biggest bandsaw you can afford. Bigger doesn't always mean better though. I can't count the hours messing with a lousy saw. I got a used 20" PM 87 and wished I had done it 10 years sooner.

Band saw is a very important part of the woodshop

Dan,

One ot the first things I ever wanted was a bandsaw for my shop. The first one I owned was on a shopsmith that I bought in 1983. It since has been replaced by a 14" jet with the riser block and carter bearing guides. So far it has not let me down, I would like a larger saw with more power when I am resawing and cutting larger wet bowl blanks, but it is not a need. I looked at the full line of RIKON tools here in town and for the price they have some very nice band saws, the nest one I buy will be a RIKON. So what it comes down to is how fast do you want it and what are you going to do with it. Grizzly makes great tools and you will be happy with it, Harbor freight has tools that will get you by but may not last as long as a Jet, Grizzly,Rikon,Powermatic and so one. Like has been said buy the best you can get with the money you have, if you are shy on cash, save a bit more and get the one you want.

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I think you mean Grizzly has the G0555. I picked up the G0555X last year and it's been working great. Never been to one of the tent sales so don't know what's available but I would recommend getting a bandsaw for cutting blanks. Unless it's a very thin turning stock, I couldn't imagine trying to use a table saw. Put on a good blade and I think you'd be happy with the G0555.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I have the G0555 (not the X). Good saw. No probs. Most importantly, it stays in alignment very well. Instead of driving to Muncie, I think yr best bet is to watch it on Ebay. With a coupon or mscashback, you can often get it discounted, which offsets freight.

From the # it looks like you are referring to a Grizzly not Harbor Freight. If that is the case get it now, don't wait. I have been to two of their tent sales and in my opinion they are only good if you want to pick up one of the tools like you already own for spare parts. You may want to check ebay as Grizzly lists these saws there quite often at the same price and you can get the microsoft cash back rebate that way. I bought mine that way last fall when the rebate was 30%. Now it is only 8% but that still saves $30.00 dollars if you are going to get one anyway.

I started off with the 0555. My initial cuttings were for box blanks. The saw did this with no problem. After a while, I was hoisting 60# chunks and nearly tipped the saw over a number of times. I've tried a variety of blades but still had a problem with deflection.

During the past CashBack boon, I picked up the Grizzly G0514X2 which still limits me to 12" height but I whiz thru anything I can get on the table.

For pens, boxes and small bowl blanks, the 0555 with a good 1/2x2 greenwood blade can't be beat. Notice I stated 1/2x2. I find this blade to be far superior to a 1/2x3. Timberwolf will warn you about buying this blade as it is "too aggressive for most." Me? I'd like a 1/2x1.

Burt

The only thing a table saw can do that a bandsaw can't is cut rabbits and dadoes, and a bandsaw can do a lot of things a table saw can't. There are a couple of books out about bandsaws, and you should at least read one of them before buying. The blade is probably the most important accessory to the bandsaw you can get. The ones that come with the saw are usually junk, so you have to up grade. Call and talk to a supplier about what you are doing and will need. The best all round blade would be bimetal, 1/2 or 3/8 inch, and 3 or so tpi (teeth per inch) with some set (bent out slightly to make chip clearing better especially with wet wood) to them. It will work well for almost all cuts, holds its sharpness a long time, can be resharpened, and will do wet wood well. It is more of a roughing blade. A carbide blade is more specialized for resawing where you want a very clean surface/finish cut. Get the best bandsaw you can afford, and a 1 hp motor. Roller bearings are okay, but ceramic are better, but more expensive, and are an accessory, not standard on most bandsaws.
    robo hippy