Thread: T&G set up questions

T&G set up questions

Ok I bought a set of Freud Tongue & Groove bits for a project coming up. I have a couple of questions.

One the setting between the two, I am thinking 7/32 for the T and 1/4 for the G. Sounds like just enough slip to me.

Next is the speed as which to run. I have a 1617VS and have no idea as to what speed to shoot for. Figuring around 3 on the dial.

The material will be 3/4 plywood, for use inside.

One of my pet peeves in the world is router bits that come without recommended rpm ranges. Generally speaking, the rpm is determined by the diameter of the bit. I have a chart at the link below that gives a good representation of those ranges. Keep in mind that you may have to tweak the rpm to suit the wood and how the bit cuts a little bit but ususally, the speed in the chart that matches the diameter of your bits will work pretty well.
    Incidentally, the router bit speed chart at that link comes from Infinity Tools who includes rpm ranges with their bits, something I think they should be recognized for.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/ref/rtrbtspds.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Thanks Tom, I figured I was going to have to slow them down. I might just go down to one, on the dial and work up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hintz View Post
    One of my pet peeves in the world is router bits that come without recommended rpm ranges.
    Tom,

FYI, Freud bits DO come with recommended speed charts and have for many years. I think it's the router he was referring to.
    Last edited by Charles McCracken; 04-24-2009 at 9:37 AM.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Blog Entries
    As Charles said; the speeds associated with the router's numbering system are loosely (if at all) defined. The consistency of ply being unpredictable (even along the edge of the same piece) makes me suggest a few test runs as your best indicator of correct speed.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I agree,I would love to know wha the speeds are for the 6 numbered steps on my Freud router. Guess I'll need to buy a rpm gauge....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think that 1/32 diff. between the tongue and groove is way to much. They should just rub together as you fit them. that is a difference of just a few thousandths. I like to fit mine so they don't fall apart on their own but are easy to fit togehter.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Thanks for the info guys. I might get the time to set it up tomorrow for a trial.

Yeah, who the heck though 1-6 was a good system on a tool that goes from 8,000-25,000 RPM was a good idea? Simply moronic.

Perhaps it works as a ratio? There is a variation of 17K RPM from low to high, there are 6 speed indicators, so each number increase should be a speed increase of roughly 2833 RPM . 1 should be 8K rpm, 2 should be 10,833 RPM, 3 should be 13,666 RPM, and so on. Bizarre way to do it, I can only figure the router manufacturers didn't imagine it was that important. Except porter cable, whose big router comes with five fixed speeds that are clearly indicated for your convenience.

Peter, that is the theory that I am using. Might not be right, but it works in my head.

I want a router that goes up to 11!