Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appropriate turning speed....?

Appropriate turning speed....?

I am new to SC. I joined a couple of months ago, but have been quietly laying on the sidelines, monitoring all of the banter regarding turning. I have some experience with between center turning, but started face plate stuff in Jan. 2009. The experience caused me to part with my mono tube Craftsman, and spring for a Nova 1624. That brings me to my newbie question...or concern. I have been reluctant to turn at any speed more than the 2nd speed on the Nova, which is 370 RPM. A catch at that speed is jarring, so I can only imagine a catch at a higher speed. Am I missing out on a better project, or an easier turning job by using a lower speed? I have turned stuff from 5"x2" bowls, to 6" plates, 14" platters and up to 14"x6" bowls. I live on Cape Cod, and have turned native woods such as cedar, hickory, soft maple, sycamore, cherry and locust. I come from a construction background.... sledge hammers, chain saws, bulldozers, loaders, trucks, etc. I definitely have to work on my patience and finnesse. I am aware that turning speed is a variable, according to blank size, trueness, weight, etc. But in general, would I have a better experience if I boosted the speed after trueing the blank?
    Thanks for your time

Fred, I would try to turn the speed up for the smaller blanks....sometimes the catches are not as hard when the speed is up......good luck and looking forward to seeing some of your work.....and welcome to the creek
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Craft Supplies USA has a pretty good article regarding safe turning speeds on their website.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/wo...the_speeds.pdf

Jason

You definitely need to turn the speed up. For the 5-6" pieces, i'd be running at least 1200. The 14" pieces, probably more like 600-800 anyway. That assumes they are relatively well balanced of course. It will be a lot smoother and easier to turn at a higher speed.

Fred, I don't think I've ever turned anything that slow, other than an out of balance 150# blank. I was turning a hollowform this afternoon. It was about 4" diameter, x 10 inches long. In balance, I was hollowing the inside at about 1600 - 1800 rpm.
    If it were me, I'd crank it up some... less catches at higher speeds, also, I believe.
    Just my .02.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Fred - Welcome to posting on the Creek!

Speed is one of those things that you become comfortable with over time. With the exception of the large bowl you mentioned - you should be able to turn your faceplate work around 800 rpm to start. Run that for awhile and get used to it. You will see a difference in quality of cuts and just takes doing for a while to get used to it.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Fred:
    You have received some good advice. I would only add to use your tailstock at every opportunity that you can. It is a real safety device that many overlook. As you get more experience you will get more comfortable with speed selection.
    All the best.

Don

I'm a sort of newbee turner too, judging from the pieces that people post here.

My 2 cents is turn NO faster than YOU feel comfortable.

I only own a Jet mini, and have not turned past 3rd speed, whatever that is. Some of my friends turn at the highest speed. It's all about how comfortable you are with the speed.
    Yes, speed is your friend, the faster the better, as a general rule. I turned a LONG time on the lowest speed. (I like sandpaper.....NOT) Slow speed leads to lots of sanding. I only recently turned on the 3rd speed. Soon I'll move up another speed notch. And I moved the speed up only after joining this forum. LOTS of good advice here. One of the books I read said that you should never need to turn faster than 500. So that's why I was stuck on slow for a long time....... I'm not saying stay on slow, turn as fast as you can.... And be safe. If you're not comfortable, you're NOT safe.

Yep...what they said. It's really a matter of getting comfortable with the additional speed. Push yourself, and speed things up...you won't be sorry. If you approach the cut slowly, and have the right tool presentation, catches are less likely. I usually start really out of round blanks slow...and then pick up the speed to 1200-1800 near the end, when it is well balanced. More than anything else, I second the tailstock recommendation. Keep it in place as long as you can.

Turning that slowly, especially on small stuff, is just making it harder to work. I did the same thing when I first got my lathe, I remember the first time I put it in 3rd gear (1200 over 800) and then immediately 4th (1800) and was amazed at how much easier spindle turning became. Cuts became SO much smoother and took less effort. Curves and smooth lines became so much easier!
    I now rough bowls once they are in balance typically at 800, and spindles usually 1200 or 1800 depending on the wood/project. Really smalls stuff might see the 2400 speed, but usually I don't bother.
    Bowls are SO much nicer at a higher speed, if I could I'd never rough bowls at 500 (10" diameter) if my lathe weren't vibrating. Rough ragged shapes are so much easier to bring into round spinning faster - you're taking smaller bites and have less air time between contact of the cutting edge, the experience is much less jarring.

Definitely turn up the speed. 370 is way too slow. Thought, it is definitely better to error on the side of caution.

If you are getting a lot of catches it will have more to do with the presentation of the tool to the piece of wood than the speed of the wood. I would suggest some hands on with a local club member or someone who has turned a lilttle longer.

Every turner is different, I have seen pros at seminars turn, never going over 800 rpms and I have seen them crank it to the highest speed as soon as possible.

Two early adages that I heard that put me in good stead were. "Speed is your friend." "Turn as fast as you can, as long as the lathe is not shaking and you are not shaking."

A question that is asked at every demo is how fast are you turning. Generally a competent turner will have to look to see what the speed is.

Regards, Steve

I would like to thank the folks that have replied regarding turning speed. I think that I was looking for a confidence boost as much as a literal answer. I got both. I will post some pics of my turnings, and of my new home made stand for the Nova 1624 after I have spent some time practicing.

LOL!

As long as the lathe is not shaking and you are not shaking. That is awesome!

Since I only have a mini, when I rough a blank, and the low speed is like 550 or so, the lathe is shaking and I am shaking too, until I get the blank round. Somehow, that is sometimes the most fun though.

When I grow up, I wanna own a Mustard too. Someday....

A turner (Patsfan) on another forum said it well: "When sphincter tightening exceeds chuck tightening, you have a problem!" I have increased my speeds over the years that I have turned. I would suggest that you learn tecnique so that you don't have catches very often as you increase your speeds. It is easier to turn at higher speeds, but go with what you are comfortable with. I have a friend that has a Legacy Ornamental lathe, and he turns at 200 rpm. It would drive me crazy, but works for him.
    robo hippy