Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old PM 66

Quote Originally Posted by Carl McGaug View Post
    Prob more like Sister Mary Charles Bronson.
    Now thats funny I don't care who you are.

Brad

I took a couple pics.Behind it is a grizzly 3hp shaper I got last month.$500 with a badly rusted table.Not as good a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    ...No special mount such as on a Unisaw!

But, as is, you deserve to GLOAT! GoodLuck with your *new* PM66!!
    A little work with a die grinder, and a MIG welder, and mounts from old motor can be on the new one. A friend has a brake lathe in his garage, that Amaco wanted over $500 for a 1.0 HP, 1725 RPM motor. A salvaged $15.00 motor and a half hour later, he didn't need that $500 motor anymore. He has been using it daily for over 10 years now.

I wonder if it is safer because it came from a church?

Don't polish off any rust spots, that may be from Holy Water!

You can no longer curse in your shop..........

You posted pics while I was typing. That thing is cool! What year is it? I don't know when they were green, mine is from the late 70's and it is gold.

The Grizzley is good for an extension table!

You are blessed.....

You stole that saw from a nun!! Repent!! Man for the money you spent you got yourself one he........ uh er I mean a really nice saw!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Maybe you could get http://www.powermaticcustoms.com/ to put one of those really slick flame paint jobs on... (JK, big guy)

With a decent blade, you should have no troubles. You might consider getting a thin kerf blade if you plan on making 45 degree bevel cuts in 6/4 + hardwood, though...

Oh, and sweet deal!

The motor is a Baldor.The motor (and switch) can be changed to 220.It draws 23 amps at 110 and 11.5 at 220.I'd have to use #10 wire for 110.I'll have to change it over.

Man. These things are BUILT!!!

Maybe the saw was used for making rulers!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl McGaug View Post

Man. These things are BUILT!!!

yep, that they are. now you see why everyone prefers an old PM66 or unisaw to anything new, even at a comparable price.

running a ~20 year old PM66 myself.

(GLOAT)

comparable to $550????

Carl,

You let me know the address and I'll pick it up for ya! I'll even bring along some cash just in case you forget yours!!

Nice saw! Hope my 66 gets to be that old. Do they turn green with age, or did they come that way? That's a color green I like to see in the shop. I hear you on switching to 220V to keep the breaker and cable reasonable but I'd hesitate to change motors till you have a compelling reason to do so. I have an old DeWalt RAS who's motor plate lists: 2HP, 16.5A@220V! Not exactly two HP by todays standards. Gets the job done! I think my 66 is 5HP, not sure I have ever come close to using the last three HP anyway.

Enjoy that saw.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Carl McGaug View Post
    I didn't buy the world's only worthless Powermatic, did I?
    You just bought one of the best tablesaws ever made. Seriously.

Hope my 66 gets to be that old. Do they turn green with age, or did they come that way?
    I was hoping you weren't asking for relationship advice.

I appreciate the responses. When I took the side cover off, I new I made a wise purchase.I've only had a sears direct drive till now.What a difference.