Thread: Bench Top Planers

Bench Top Planers

I'm just about ready to bite the bullet and buy a bench top planer. The general consenus seems to be that the Dewalt 2 speed model is the tops. But I'm a little concerned about the quality of the unit. I have been hearing of several occasions where people have been having problems with the drive sprocket breaking. Does anyone know if this issue has been taken care of, or should I wait a while before making my purchase. As an alternative, I have also been considering getting the model below it that also uses the 3 knife cutter head. Any suggestions are welcome.

Brian Walter

The two top "benchtop" planers presently are the Dewalt DW735 and the Delta 22-580. Both are dual feed speed and both are heavy units. Do not consider them "portable" or even "benchtop" in the sense of picking them up and storing them on a shelf or in a cabinet somewhere! (Unless you're a world-class weight lifter...) IMHO, either unit will service you well. Both tools, like any tool, have had an issue here or there, but both manufacturers are reputable. The Dewalt 734 is basically a new version of the previous "top" unit they had with the addition of the three-knife head. It's more than a little lighter in weight than the DW735 and you sacrifice the dual feed speed. But it's also a good unit, as is the Delta 22-565...or whatever the current equivalent is.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I love the DeWalt 735, but don't let those handles fool you that baby was made for on wheels. 100lbs + not quite portable.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 08-03-2004 at 12:13 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I love my 735. I just finished planing about 70 running feet of material and the results were spectacular. The depth gage is right on. I set it to bottom out at 3/4" and "went on faith." Bingo! 3/4"!!!

It's weights a ton and is loud.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Hi Brian, I have the Delta 22-580 and it works great. The only thing I wished it had was a cutter head that locked automatically. I have to manually lock mine every time I change the depth setting. I'm not sure but I think the Dewalt has this feature. Also the infeed/outfeed tables on mine have to be set correctly or you get snipe. It's no problem to adjust but I think the Dewalt has one table that serves as infeed/outfeed. I guess you have to decide if the Dewalt is worth the money difference. As usual the "latest and greatest" thing to come along is always the most expensive. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I just sold my Delta 22-580 (13", 2-speed) "portable" planer. Yeah, 96 lbs. portable....

Excellent planer, got $300 for it. After demo'ing it for the guy, I wondered why I was getting rid of it...he was ecstatic about the finish on the test piece.

Actually, I know perfectly well why I got rid of it...bigger/better planer was on the way...

Edit: Alan has a good point on the cutterhead lock...I often forget to lock mine or leave it locked the whole time!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Take a look at the Makita 2012NB. It's a 12" planer, automatic head lock, disposable dual edged blades, so you do need to worry about sharpening (could be a good or bad thing depending on your views on such things) and the finish is very good. Its a lugable 65lbs and puts out 83dB (until you feed wood into it ) and Amazon currently has it at $399. Just throwing it out for conversation

Love mine
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Thanks for the feedback

For those of you with the Dewalt 735, did you get the optional infeed and outfeed tables? Just wondering if they are really needed. That would add even more cost and weight to an already expensive and heavy tool. But if the tool will last me 5 to 10 years, the extra cost is really not an issue.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Brian Walter
    Last edited by Brian Walter; 08-04-2004 at 8:44 AM.

Brian, I've had the 735 for some time now. Quite happy with it but, I really DO recommend the infeed/outfeed table kit, especially if you're planning on doing lengthier stock. Very well thought out machine!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I have the Jet two speed - take a look at it - its great.
    Lynn J. Sonier

Brian

I have the 735 without the infeed/outfeed. I use
    3 roll stands on both ends and run 10' lengths of
    4/4 oak with no problems. I have also been able to
    sucessfully sharpen the blades. The only problem
    I have had is shutting it down(the stock was being
    blocked by an assembly table) and trying to restart
    it after I moved the obstruction. Big mistake!! It instantley burned through the drive belt and they don't give those away for nothing. $25 something to replace.
    That was an expensive lesson to learn. I should have
    raised the cutterhead and started over.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Walter
    For those of you with the Dewalt 735, did you get the optional infeed and outfeed tables? Just wondering if they are really needed. That would add even more cost and weight to an already expensive and heavy tool. But if the tool will last me 5 to 10 years, the extra cost is really not an issue.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Brian Walter
    Brian, I bought them and they are worth the money. The pop right on and off. Once you set the height adjustment you can forget it. Just remove them as needed.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1