Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protecting Small Chisels

Protecting Small Chisels

I have started to accumulate some very smll chisels and carving tools. I just got a roll for my larger chisels...so how can I protect the tips of my small chisels?

I don't know if storing them in the roll will work out for the best...what do you use to store sharp small tools?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Jerry, I have the same question. I just received several very nice BS chisels and I need to figure out hot to safely store them. I don’t care for the tool roll option, and I don’t have wall space for a tool sill.

I’d like to fit them into an empty drawer in my bench; does anyone have pics of how the did it?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

What about making a smal box, I saw one in one of the wooworking magazin, I will look for it and get back to you...

So the article is in the autumn of 2004 page 28 of Wooworking magazine! Have a look, I think it wouldbe a nice little project!
    david

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    What about making a smal box, I saw one in one of the wooworking magazin, I will look for it and get back to you...
    That might be the best option. I have some cigar boxes that my do in the interim. I was also thinking about maybe heading to the office supply store and buying some erasers. I can cut them up and just jab them onto the ends of the chisels.

Blog Entries
    I don't know how many you have but maybe something like this with some veneer glued to the mag-bar for looks/protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Also what work great for small sharp tool tips is sintetic coark!

I haven't done it myself, but wondering if various diameters of clear tubing you can pick up at a hardware store would work. I don't know the material (I just call it fish pump tubing ). It is fairly flexible, so you can squeeze it to make a chisels rectangular cross section fit into an otherwise round tube, and it when it tries to return round, it holds it onto the chisel.

Jeff

9. I have tried both synthetic wine corks (for my homemade 1/16 to 3/16-inch chisels) and thick vinyl tubing (for a store-bought 1/2" chisel). Both seem to work just fine, though for small chisels, the cork gives you something bigger to hold on to as you cover the blade.

Cork?

I'll have to have the wife get busy on some wine

Lie-Nielsen used to ship their chisles with a heavy flexible black plastic sleeve on the blades to protect the edges. The sleeve was about 3" long and came in several sizes for 1/4" to 3/4" blades. They quit using them and started dipping their chisels in some kind of temporary waxy stuff, but they had a bunch of the black sleeves left over. They were selling them for not much (maybe 50 cents each - I don't remember) at the LN store in Warren ME and I bought several. I asked for more and they sent me a couple dozen with my next order. I don't think they even charged me for them. I use them on all my chisels. You might call and see it they have any left. They're great and would be perfect for your small chisels.

Hank

I guess you've considered that some erasers might have some fine abrasive in them?

Hank..I have some of the "larger" black plastic tips. However, the chisels I'm talking about have from a 1.5mm to 3/16" tip.

I'm sure that the ersaser will have some abrasive qualities, and I can always 'touch them up' I just don't want them to get banged around or anything like that.

You could use art gum,or as David suggested,corks. Art gum might fall apart soon.

Folded over and stapled cardboard does it with at expense. i like corks for the bigger chisels. But I store most of my chisels in small drawers lined with various stuff, mostly that router pad material so they don't roll around.

Pam