Thread: Skin the Cat

Skin the Cat

Starting to get "box fever" and while watching Rob Cosmans video the other night, he cut variable spaced box joints with a dual router setup. Pretty neat if you have not seen it. The problem is that you have to build a dedicated setup with 2 routers.
    So, here is the "ask 10 guys how to cook a steak" question. What do you guys think would be a good way to cut variable spaced box/finger joints and varible dovetails?

"Lots of ways to skin the cat "

Paul

My first choice: With the Incra fence on my router table.
    My second choice: By hand.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Thanks Jason. I was wondering about the incra fence. My router table is a handmade extension on the table saw. Is the incra fence a permanent add on? Fairly easy to make the variable spaced joints with it?

Paul

Woodrat or Router Boss

Paul,

The Incra or Jointech fences are both removable as far as I know. You could rig up a board that locks down into one (or both) of your table saw's miter slots, for example. Worst case, you could drill/tap a couple mounting holes. That it comes off isn't a problem, but you do want to make sure to avoid taking it off in mid-operation or you'll play heck trying to get the thing aligned properly all over again.

As for easy ... well ... it's easy for me, now. I think they all have learning curves, these jigs. Dedicated dovetail jigs are reasonably simple in operation - the more flexible you get, the more learning there is to do (Leigh, akeda, etc). These fence systems do take a little bit of doing in order to develop proficiency, but they're also much more flexible than a single-tasker like a dovetail jig.

I love mine. It's far and away the most accurate woodworking tool in my shop. I walk up to my router table with 100% confidence that I can get perfect results out of it without all that much trouble.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Thanks Joe. Just went and looked at the Boss and Rat and they are not in the budget. Yeah Jason, i am trying to stay away from a dedicated machine, and not buy something impulsively that just collects dust. We have all done that i bet This all started by looking at the Gifkin,and then the Katie,Keller, Leigh,etc. They all seem to have their stong points and supporters.

Paul

7. Here is a picture of a box that I made using the original 8 inch Incra Jig and my router. It took a while to design and a lot longer to make, but it is not really all that difficult. I used a 3/8" spiral bit with a 3/8" height on the bit for all cuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tipp City, Ohio

That is really nice joinery there Ralph. I would think variable spaced box joints would be a piece of cake compared to that on the Incra then

Paul

Amazon has the Incra Ultralite for $130.00. Any thoughts?