Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the ultimate miter saw? Sub $1k

+1 Hitachi C8F
    mine is over 13 years old
    I contemplate buying a bigger newer one until I try one at a store or another carpenter's
    the 8" seems so much more accurate

I am not going to lie, I have the $190 Tradesman 10" sliding compound from Menards and I absolutely love it. It does everything that the others do and it does it cheap. I wasn't expecting much from this saw and was pleasantly surprised. So far it has turned out to be quite stable, an easy slider and quite accurate.

hey i got a question, on my $100 ryobi miter saw, when you turn it on it sounds like the worlds coming to an end its so loud. are the higher dollar saws quieter???

Had the Hitachi 10" and sold it to get the Hitachi 12". I know many trim carpenters that swear by the Hitachi 8 1/2'. Great saws for the money. I have used the Makita.. also a great saw. I have not used the Bosch or DW so no comment.

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    hey i got a question, on my $100 ryobi miter saw, when you turn it on it sounds like the worlds coming to an end its so loud. are the higher dollar saws quieter???
    LOL! Yes, there are much quieter higher priced saws. I can't speak for all of them, but the Bosch, Dewalt, Hitachi and Makitas that I have been aroung have all been somewhat less noisey than the end of the world. None of them are louder than my shop vac.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I have the Hitachi 10" slider with laser...no problems at all. Holds rock solid. The Hitachi was actually 2nd on my list with the Makita 10" being #1. I could have bought 2 of the Hitachi units (at the price I got it for) for what the Makita was going to cost me. I'd still rather have the larger base and the slightly more powerful motor (15 amp vs the Hitachi 13 amp) but the savings has been well worth the difference. Jim.
    I must have gotten my Hitachi on the same deal that Jim got his. It's been as good as he said, "rock solid." I'm not sure how much better a miter saw other than possibly the brand that starts with an "F" I could get and I'm still not sure why it's better.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Ok, since i don't post very often mainly because i dont feel i have a ton to add to fine woodworking, as i don't make a whole lot of "FINE" things you may take what i say with a grain of salt . Anyway i bought a Bosch 4212L last year for like $600 and now at Amazon for $370 i think its a damn steal. I bought a Forrest Chopmaster 80T for it and it cuts 4" x 8" Walnut with just a little slowing of the motor and absolutely no tearout. For the saw and the blade totaling $500 is a pretty sweet deal, though dust collection on it is complete joke, i recomend hooking up a very powerful cyclone to it to get it all. My Festool CT33 and a 1300cfm Griz dust collector dont help very much. The laser is nice for lazyness but not dead precise as it moves on the wood as you lower the saw blade closer to wood. But altogether a pretty nice saw. I am a big Festool user and having used the Kapex i dont honestly believe it is worth the money. The only Festool tool i can honestly say that about...
    Steve

"...the brand that starts with an "F" I could get and I'm still not sure why it's better..."

Doesn't count... it's way over the $1K cap.
    David DeCristoforo

+1 Bosch

another very satisfied Bosch 4212 user.

Just got the Dewalt 716...

First and foremost, I am a hobbiest woodworker and certainly not near the caliber of most of the folks on this site; that being said....

I just replaced an 8 y/o Dewalt DW705 with a DW716 and I love it. I also have the Bosch 12" slider (purchased last year), which - as many have posted here - is rock solid and an excellent saw as well. I have 60T blade on the Bosch, and an 80T blade on the Dewalt (both Freud). I did "handle" both the Bosch 12" (non-slider) as well as the DW716 before I purchased the DW716. I finally chose the Dewalt because - and this will probably sound a bit quirky - I prefer where the handle is on the Dewalt in terms of it being a little bit closer to the machine itself and therefore closer the workpiece. This has become a bit more comfortable for me over the years. And as was stated in a previous post, the laser on the Bosch really wasn't attrractive to me b/c it only "appears" when the blade is spinning, and it moves (very slightly) as the spinning blade gets closer to the workpiece....on my Bosch slider I still find myself lining up the cut with the blade itself before starting the cut when accuracy is a must.

Other than that, I love both my Bosch slider and my (new) Dewalt non-slider.
    Last edited by Edward Garrett; 04-26-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by travis howe View Post
    ...I wanted to know what you all think the "Ultimate Miter Saw" is?...something I could really buy if money wasn't a major issue.... Sub $1k.
    Sorry, but I have a hard time wrapping my brain around "Ultimate", "money wasn't a major issue" and "Sub $1K" all in the list of criteria.

But... My experience has been excellent with the Hitachi 8" SCMS. A real workhorse, accurate, and more mobile than most SCMS (if that is important). I now have a Bosch 10" SCMS that lives in my home-based shop, and like the up-front controls and easy to read miter scales. Settings seem to stay put.

The pricing on SCMS jumps from around $600 for the higher priced, higher quality, full feature brands to over $1K for Festool.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I had a choice while trimming out a hotel of the bosch or the makita. Many cuts later, the makita won with an overall more solid feel, easier slide, and reliability. (said only because the arbor on the bosch loosened up and became wobbley, and had to be sent for repair.) These saws were only about a year old, but used heavily. Used a hitachi in a cabinet shop for three years, only repair during that time was brushes. Then at my home shop I use a 12 dewalt. IT has been a true soldier and has gone through ten years of abuse. But if I was looking for a new miter saw, having played with those four brands quite a bit, I would go with the Makita, hands down.