Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the ultimate miter saw? Sub $1k

What's the ultimate miter saw? Sub $1k

Of course I've scoured SMC and the web for the best miter saw for woodworking.

I really like the Bosch 4212l and had thought good things of the Hitachi C10FSH 10 but then I hear it's not very stable with the settings.

So regardless of my thoughts and needs, I wanted to know what you all think the "Ultimate Miter Saw" is?

Sorry, not looking for the crazy one-offs, looking for something I could really buy if money wasn't a major issue.... Sub $1k.

I have the Hitachi (sans laser) and the settings are rock solid.

Regards,

Ron

I have that Bosch 4212L and am very happy with it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the Hitachi 10" slider with laser...no problems at all. Holds rock solid. The Hitachi was actually 2nd on my list with the Makita 10" being #1. I could have bought 2 of the Hitachi units (at the price I got it for) for what the Makita was going to cost me. I'd still rather have the larger base and the slightly more powerful motor (15 amp vs the Hitachi 13 amp) but the savings has been well worth the difference. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have the Hitachi C10FS. That's without the "H" or high fence. Boy does it need the high fence. Great saw but when I got to crown molding it sucks. When I see pictures of the C10FSH I drool with envy at that high left side. Would liked to have seen them put the "H" on both sides as most other saws have but the way I do crown molding I put the saw on one side and do it all there so that would be no problem. Can't speak about the others, never owned them but the Hitachi is a solid performer. Read one reviewer who did custom work in homes, went to a 12" saw (Bosch) but after a while, was going back to his 10" Hitachi. I like the idea of a 12" saw over a 10" as there are a few cuts that a 12" could make a 10" just can't do. But many seem to think they start to wobble a little at that length so if you're really into accuracy, I guess you have to stay with the 10".

Well I have a Dewalt 708 slider. However if I were to replace it I would look very closely at the Bosch 4212 or the Milwaukee. The lasers are nice but over rated IMHO. Good luck.
    I almost forgot. If I am going to spend $1000 or better then I would look for a quality radial arm saw. It's more versatile.
    Last edited by Ron Bontz; 04-24-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: add

I have the Hitachi C10FSH. I really like it for the most part, but like you mentioned, some of the positive stops (22.5, 45, etc) have become a bit sloppy. It's probably 5 years old or so, but doesn't get a ton of use. I don't know if they've changed anything in the design since I bought mine that would prevent this from happening, or maybe that's just the way it is. Maybe I'll look into a replacment part one of these days, the manual doesn't really address it.

I have several Dewalts and a Hitachi and both are really nice saws. The Dewalt are tanks and can really take a lot of abuse. Two of mine are sliders and also jobsite saws and one is about 10 years old. Ive never done a thing to it besides change the blade. Its never been knocked out of alignment and this is a saw that rides down the road in an enclosed trailer down some rough roads to jobsites. The Hitachi is a really nice saw although its not a slider. I agree with another poster that the lasers on these things are over rated. The laser line itself is too fat on every saw I have ever used. I need to cut more accurately than that personally.
    If I were looking at a new saw today I would look hard and long at the new Milwaukee slider. Ive spent some time on one in the field and also played with one in stores. Its a brute of a saw and looks very rugged and well made.
    I would never think of trying to replace a miter saw with a radial arm saw. Not in a million years.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

If you are at all considering the Makita, Denver CL has one that looks like the seller will take less than the list price for the 12"

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/1136382418.html
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

saws

I have an older 12" dewalt. Nice but cost a fortune to repair (unexpected). Bought a 10" Makita (with laser) to use while Dewalt was in the shop. Use the Makita exclusively now and I love the laser. Russ

I've been using the Makita LS1013 for about 5 years now and am very pleased with it. A few month ago Wood magazine did one of their tool ratings and rated it as their "Top Tool Approved" (If that really means anything ). They did have a slightly higher score for the Festool but essentially said the small difference did not justify the large cost differential.

Regardless, I would buy it again if I was in the market for one.
    Kev

Since they first appeared, I have never been without a Hitachi C8F. Unless you simply must have a bigger blade, this has got to be the best saw of it's type ever. It's solid, accurate, smooth, light and compact (easy to move around) and almost completely immune from the deflection common to the larger saws. I am on my third one right now. OK, you might ask "If they are so great how come you've gone through three of em?" Well, that's a fair question. So.... the first one I had got ripped off before it was six months old. The second one was used day in and day out for over ten years until the pivot finally got funky. I sold it last year to a door shop for fifty bucks (they are still using it for crosscutting but it's locked down at 90 degrees) and got a new one.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have that Bosch 4212L and am very happy with it.

Mike
    +1 Great saw imo

PS

Makita 1013 fan here. Great saw. Actually you have a bunch of good options though. One thing I like about the Mak over the others is the way that the slide is built. It is different, and in my not so humble opinion, better.

Can't speak for the 4212L, but I have a Bosch slider (3915) and it has been rock solid. I keep checking it, thinking it must have drifted over 10 years after being moved around and banged up a bit, but it still reads square.

Of course, it could be my measurements