Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED edge lit Wedding Gift and Thanks

LED edge lit Wedding Gift and Thanks

Guys I just tried doing my first LED edge lit project. My time management was better on this one. Instead of waiting until my usual start time of waiting until the last moment, I am actually almost 2 months ahead. Anyway, my daughter is getting married and I thought that this would make a nice addition for her to put over her guest book and sort of draw her guests to it. Enjoy the pics... the sign is 16.5" wide.

Dee,
    I want to thank you for your trace tutorial, it really helped with putting the hairline around the top of the piece.

To my fellow Creekers,
    Thanks for all of the posts and information on LED edge lit signs. I got the base from the place that is giving the gift certificate to the creek.

I hope this moves other to challenge themselves. This is a very easy project for someone starting out and it has a load of WOW factor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steven Wallace; 04-25-2009 at 12:49 AM. Reason: grammar
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

Very nice Job, Steven. Last September I did the table markers for my daughter's wedding. Walking her down the aisle is a Dad's proudest moment, enjoy.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Steven,

You did a beautiful job on that, it should cause a lot of excitement when people go to sign the book. I love the little bows on the hearts, so "happy".

Not only will this be a great decoration for the wedding, but I'm sure they will keep it forever as one of those "my DAD made this!" gifts that will continue to wow people. I don't know what it is about edge-lit lights, but everyone seems to love them every time they see them.

Keep up the great work! And congratulations on the wedding too!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

That looks great, Steven - I like that when the contour follows the design

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Andrea, Thank you!

As I stated in the starting post, Dee Gallo's trace tutorial was a great help to my being able to do that. It really made it much easier to do that I had anticipated. The people on the Creek are what drive my creative juices.
    Last edited by Steven Wallace; 04-25-2009 at 6:04 PM.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

Hey Steven, that looks awesome! My son got married a few months back and it is one of the proudest moments of my life. He picked a fantastic young lady to bring into our family. May your new son-in-law bring you the same happiness!

PS. and extra congrats on doing it early
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

Need a fix

The bases are made of an extruded aluminum channel. There is one issue I have with them. The channel opening is roughly a .250" opening but the base of the channel is somewhat wider to accommodate the width of the LED strip. I am going to try and figure out, after removing the end caps, what I can wedge in that opening to stabilize the acrylic piece. Otherwise, the Acrylic has a tendency to wobble front to back in the channel when the sign is moved. It is not a big deal but will make for a more professional finish once this is done. I'll let you know what I figure out. I am accepting suggestions from you that have had a similar experience.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

I could not figure out what the little pins were for. What if on the bottom of your plexiglass you lasered in two holes so the pins slid snugly into the piece. Slide the pins in the acrylic.
    Remove one end of the base and slide the whole thing into the extrusion and put the end back on. This would make it sit nice and flat? This may also explain how the people who take the feet off and screw a chain between the holes to hang them upside down. The piece would stay in place. I will try to test one in the next day or so and let you know. You may beat me to it.

I have a couple questions, I haven't tried to do an LED sign yet but I have been wanting to, roughly how much did it take to make it this? and where did you get the base? thanks for your help
    X-660 Universal Laser, 60 watt
    Corel Draw X3
    HP Laptop
    PhotoGrav 3
    Nikon D40
    Adobe Photoshop CS3
    Rotary Atachment
    US MH 871 34" Vinyl Cutter

Steven,

I tried the pins using the method I described above and that is the key. Laser the holes for the pins so the pins fit nice and tight. Also I did them at a height level so that the bottom of the acrylic ended up being right on top of the lights so it actually forces the pin tight against the top of the chanel. Making the acrylic tight against the lights stiffens it up. You could then pick the whole thing up by the acrylic or even hang it upside down. I will make up a little instruction sheet to ship with the units in the near future.

Scott
    Last edited by scott keller; 04-27-2009 at 1:39 AM.

Couple of answers

Jeremy, How much it takes? I am taking that you mean acrylic. Well it depends on the base width and how tall you make it. I found the base I used very stable. It is 16.5" long and the acrylic was roughly 5" tall. I am sure you can go taller. Here is the website and if you want more info contact Scott Keller in this thread.

http://www.decorandafter.com/store/p...hp?cat=46&pg=2

Scott, Thank you for the suggestion. I will put it to use before I ship it to my daughter. Thanks for your quick response. The info sheet would really be handy, I sure had no idea what the pins were for. It is not very intuitive.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

Those prices are better than what I got. I did what was posted earlier for the pins. Still wasn't the fit I wanted so I went the next step up in thickness for the acrylic and lasered away the excess so the acrylic would fit snug.

I've thought of other designs for bases that would hinge from the side (the entire side panel would would pull away). You insert your acrylic and then snap the side in. It would possibly have a thin foam at the top of each side to block the led light from the sides and provide a cushion for the different thickness acrylic. Anyway, just a thought. Haven't built anything.

Hi Steven,

The light looks really neat!

This is my first post but I have been viewing this most useful forum for a couple of months now.

I was wondering if anyone knows where we can get LED bases like this here in the UK? If anyone can help, please do. I've been searching for a while.

Thanks!

Stuart Orrell
    LS6040 40W

Stuart

Welcome to SMC. Can't help on sourcing in the UK but glad to have you aboard.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Orrell View Post
    Hi Steven,

The light looks really neat!

This is my first post but I have been viewing this most useful forum for a couple of months now.

I was wondering if anyone knows where we can get LED bases like this here in the UK? If anyone can help, please do. I've been searching for a while.

Thanks!

Stuart Orrell
    LS6040 40W
    Hi Stuart.

Funnily enough I've been looking for a UK supplier lately too. I found this company http://www.ledsignlighting.co.uk/led...ng-systems.htm and have a 12 inch version on its way. Not cheap though, it was £25.00.

Dave.
    LaserScript 9060 SE 60W - LaserCut 5.1,
    PhotoImpact X3, CorelDraw 12, PhotoGrav, Adobe CS3