Thread: Adding a dust collector to the shop

Adding a dust collector to the shop

Guys,
    I am getting ready to add a much needed dust collector to the shop. I am looking at Grizzly G0562, it has 2320 CFM and is reasonably priced at $725. The unit filters down to 1 micron. I have never had a DC before, I have read some articles, but that does not beat experience. I'm open to suggestions.

Research in detail!

Dust collection is the elephant in the room. While we must have tools to mill and cut wood, not having adequate dust collection will inevitably put us at meaningful risk. Dust collection is also a complicated topic and has been the source of numerous threads here on the creek. So:

I recommend you read Bill Pentz' website. You do not have to accept everything he says, but his point of view needs to be recognized and appreciated. Next, search here on the creek - read the threads.

If you have two or more high dust creation tools - e.g., planer, jointer, table saw, shaper, sanders, etc., you are probably better off spending more money on a good cyclone dust collection system than a dust collection system tht will have to be replaced in a few years. Systems from Clearvue, Oneida, Grizzly, are adequate to excellent and some of the high end and expensive European stuff is fine also.

I personally would never buy a dust collection system that is not based on a cylcone and highly rated pleated filters. Others may disagree. Nor would I buy a two bag system regardless of the CFM nonsense many of the manufacturers spout, including their filtering claims on the bags. For me, my Oneida system means I breathe better, don't blow crap out of my nose and cough, have less dust (everywhere). While I had to forego some other purchases, it is still the best money I ever spent IMHO.

I view this as a much more important safety issue than the Sawstop debate and wish folks would not say it is OK to have less than really effective dust collection, unless you have an outside shop and a constant breeze. Alternatively, maybe folks really want COPD.

DC placement

If I could impart one opinion: Try to place the dust collector outside! Two reasons: First: micron filter is a non issue - you are venting outside. Second, your ears will greatly appreciate this! Just set up a remote start system.

Good Luck

lol, I love the DC posts... it always brings out the cult (Penz) followers. While many of us wish that we could plop down thousands of dollars on a BP approved DC system... it may not be necessary !

Here are a few questions a person should ask before they should recommend a cyclone:
    1. How much time you spend in your shop?
    2. What kind of dust producing tools you have?
    3. If you already have DC ports on your existing equipment?
    4. How much money can you spend?

I would recommend a cyclone to someone who runs their power tools 20 or more hours a week or to someone that has any chronic repertory problems. I would not recommend a cyclone to someone that occasionally uses power tools and takes a few weeks (or months) to finish a project. Rather, a good DC unit, with Canister filter(s) will do just fine .

The griz is a smok'n collector at that price and has very good filters. While I expect the CFM ratings are not "real-world" accurate, I'm sure it will be an awesome performer.

From there, I'd also look at improving your tool's DC abilities... Adding an over arm blade guard with DC or adding DC to your planer would be a huge improvement.

This might help in your decision, it's a Jet 3hp cyclone and it's about the same price as the Grizz DC.

http://www.cpojettools.com/products/708654k.html?ref=cj

Good Luck,
    Jimmy

6. I have the G0548 which is essentially the same unit, but with 2hp vs. the 3hp of your unit (and of course only the one canister). I've been very happy with it - it's basically just perfect for my needs. The suction is great (see below) and the fit and finish are excellent.

I have a small basement shop with a hybrid table saw, a 6" jointer, a 12" lunchbox planer, a table top drill press, a miter saw, and a router table. I move the hoses from tool to tool since everything is so small.

The unit has great suction. I ran some raised panels with one full pass in soft pine on my router table (using two connections to the DC - one above and one below the table) and had VERY little dust left anywhere. Same thing with my planer and jointer - sucks 99.9% of the dust up even when my saw dust bag is over 1/2 full.

I have no way of testing the 1 micron claim - or how well it picks up the really fine stuff as I don't have an air quality meter, I only know that when I'm using tools that I can connect to the DC, the results have been awesome in terms of the visual sawdust.

Overall, I've been happy.

-J