Thread: Worsharp 3000 Disc

Worsharp 3000 Disc

I finally broke down and purchased a Worksharp 3000. Just getting it out of the box but I have questions.

Where do folks who use this machine get their disc from?

What grits do you have on the shelf?

What type of sanding material works the best?

I just thought I should order now before I have the need.

Thanks,
    Jim

I bought extra discs and plates from Amazon when they had them on sale. I have a plate for each grit now (top and bottom have same grit). Makes it so much easier than trying to peel off and restick the discs. Works out great and saves time just changing the plate out vs. taking off and putting discs on. And I figured peeling off the discs all the time will probably wear out the glue before the grit. So, I figured in the long run it will eventually save money.

I have three disks and put a different grit on each side so all I have to do is flip over the disk for the next grade. I actually have a fouth disk as a spare just in case I break one. They were on sale at the time. I also made a caddy to hold them so they are close at hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I also picked up an assortment at a Rockler sale but, the manual states that any 6" PSA disc can be used. Some may require a bit of trimming on the outer edge. Just an observation, used as instructed the paper lasts a surprisingly long time.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Purchased all of the workshap 3000 accessories through Amazon.

My chisels and handplane blades have never been so sharp since the day they were born.

Enjoy sharpness

Rod

Our club just did a bulk buy of abrasives from Klingspor and SIS (http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/mmr_discs.htm#6_0_psa) for the Micromesh discs. All told I got 10 each of 6 grits (4 regular and 2 Micromesh) for just under $50. The place with the Micromesh discs gave us 10% off because we ordered around 200 discs total.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 04-25-2009 at 5:28 PM.

Well, I just tried this thing.

Is there some reason why the chisels seem sharper after the 120 or 400 grit than they do after the the whole process of 1000, 3600 and leather??

Jim

I just use regular paper and spray adhesive, works like a charm and is WAY less expensive than the store bought discs.
    As to your chisels being sharper after 400 vs the 3600 and stropping, thats really wierd!!
    After I got mine initially sharpened and stropped I have never had to go back on them unless I nick something. I only strop to touch up an edge.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.