Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipe Hall Table

Ipe Hall Table

I got the Idea for this table from two different posts "Floating Hall Table" and "Cocobolo Writing table" I hope they don't mind I borrowed Some design elements from both.

The top was free wood I was given and was told It was Ipe, he was using it for a small outside ramp he was making for a hardwood dealer. He tossed 2 peices to the side because they had so much figure in them. I am not sure it is Ipe but I can say it was the hardest most dense wood I have every used and I have used alot of exotics in the turnings I do.

The legs are Black Walnut that I ebonized with the vineger steel wool trick.

I used no metal on the table the top is held with a sliding dove tail and pinned with a blackwood peg in the center, the legs a M&T.

The finish is Deft lacquer that still needs rubbed and buffed out.

I am curoius on what you guys think this should sell for if I decide not to keep it and take it to a show I am selling my turnings at this summer? I know how to price round stuff but flat I am not to sure. Plus I don't know if we even want to sell it.

Thanks for looking and fell free to critque it.
    Bob

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Hallowell; 04-25-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Very nice piece! The grain really popped for you.....

The turning looks great sitting on top of it..... very attractive display.

If I were to keep it and use it to display your turnings at a show.... there's nothing wrong with throwing a high price tag on it and see what happens..... It's definitely worth keeping, though.... I'm glad the choice is not mine.

Excellent looking piece and display.

Bob, you gotta love guys that don't want that ol' nasty figured wood!! That is a striking top, and works very well with the ebonized walnut. Can't help on pricing as I have never sold any pieces. But, I would be hesitant to sell something that was a "first", and it may make a very nice "display" piece for some of your round work at the shows. Just a thought.

Ed, you beat me to the "display" idea!!

Wow, is all I can say. I like that piece a lot - everything about it. I'm not a pricer by any means, but I think if I came across it at a show, I wouldn't think somewhere in the range of 500-650 was unrealistic.

Blog Entries
    I was thinkin' more like $1500.... it'd go for that, might take a while, but you'd have your display for longer.... but then again, it could go straight away..

But, the pricing all depends on cost of material and time put in.... and there is something to be said about artistic value.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    I was thinkin' more like $1500.... it'd go for that, might take a while, but you'd have your display for longer.... but then again, it could go straight away..

But, the pricing all depends on cost of material and time put in.... and there is something to be said about artistic value.
    Thanks guys,

Wow I was thinking more in the $600 range which I thought was high. as for materials I have $20 in deft lacquer and a few bucks for vineger All the wood was free.

Very very nice table. Price it as if you had paid for the wood. I'd lean more towards the high end of whats been suggested so far and say you should get $1200 easily from the right buyer. The wood is beautiful and the craftsmanship is superb. Don't let it go for too cheap.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Ryan is right on the wood. Materials should always be priced at market. Getting a good deal on materials is part of the labor - all the looking and scrounging to get a good deal (or in this case the good fortune of being in the right place at the right time) is part of the job of a craftsman. The customer should not benefit from that. Were it not the case, then you should tell your customer - YOU find the materials, and buy 25% extra for waste, and I will just charge for the labor and design art. You won't get any takers on that one!

Bob,
    Nice job on the table... I was thinking $700 before I read everyone's posts. I like how you have displayed your turning. I still think it looks like a blow fish.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

When you say all the wood was free, you have to think that it's not always that way. so price your piece as so! I think the $1500 is not to much that piece realy sticks out and I think that some newbe at saling there products, tend to undersale what they make! that said, some over sale there products only because they have a name attached to it!
    thats only my 2c worth!!

Bob, I agree with the original owner of the wood – it has way too much figure. You should send it to me. To save you trouble, you can send me the legs too.
    I know, I know, I’m just a great guy.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    I think $650 to $700 is a reasonable price based on similar furniture for sale.
    The value of a piece is generally determined by the overall 'look'. It's the 'look' that makes it desirable. The average consumer does not care how much the wood cost or how long it took to make. Time and materials is concern of the designer/builder.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Beautiful! As for the price? My thought is that $600 is a steal. The right customer would pay $1,500. Of course it depends on how quickly you want to sell versus how much you'd like to make...

Regardless, that's a very nice table, good job.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Very nice job.. I cannot help on the pricing as I haven't personally purchased a piece since the mid 70's and just don't know the market. But.. I would go high and be willing to come down. If you price low.. there is no room to negotiate down to more than you originally thought it would sell for as you might get more.

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay. You just hope that the right someone's come along when you're the seller.

Sarge..

Outstanding piece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...