Thread: mail order lumber

mail order lumber

Where do people get mail order lumber from? I looked at the "woodworkers source" site but was not sure if these prices are good. Anyone work with Shedua?

The wood whisperer has a video on mail order woods. Mainly it will depend on what you are looking for Shedua in this case, how much you need, availability, and of course price.

Once you get a few responses here (web addresses) you will easily be able to narrow the choices down for the best of all the above.

Good luck and don't forget to come back and post pics of your project!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I have had excellent success with Wall Lumber in NC. Fair prices, excellent wood, fast and reasonable shipping, and on most of my orders, 5-10% more BF than ordered!

Most sawmills are accustomed to loading trucks with wood to ship to some one far away. Google and telephone.

I was very pleased with Niagara Lumber. I bought a stack of QSWO from them a few months ago. The lumber shipped was all very good-straight, no knots and great figure.

Even with the shipping from NY, it cost less than what I'd pay locally here in CO.

http://www.niagaralumber.com/

Chris,
    I would look harder in your area, I found a local Amish guy that sells his walnut S4S for $3.50 a BD ft, the same price for oak. I would google lumber in your area. Use yellow pages on the internet in your area.

Chuck

I use Woodworkers Source all of the time but I am a walk-in customer. I have met the gentleman that oversees their mail order business and I was impressed. They have three retail stores and consider the mail order business their fourth store.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I bought 100bf of QSWO from Steve Wall and was happy with his service & his lumber.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Another vote for Steve Wall. I bought 170' of Jatoba for a kitchen . Fast shipping & I have no complaints.

Chris,

If you are in Dekalb you are just down the road from "The Hardwood Connection" in Sycamore. Ken and Dave are great guys and their selection of domestics and exotics are very impressive, they are located at 1810 W State St, they sell machinery and have a small gallery also.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

I routinely order from LL Johnson in Charlotte/South Bend in fairly large quantity, and am almost always happy. On the two occasions that I was not they took care of it for me. They may actually deliver to DeKalb, they have trucks that run routes far from their store.