Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you cool your shop?

Since we're on the same topic... I've been looking at some of the mini-split units found on the link below since I don't have many options for an opening large enough for a PTAC unit.

http://www.acsuperstore.com/store/LGMINI06.html

I understand that there are some units that sell with pre-charged quick connect refrigerant line sets; making it easier for the the homeowner to install. Has anyone had experience with these?

Cooling? I wish! I expect I will still be heating mine off and on for another month.

Steve

Cooled as-needed with a window AC unit. Its really well insulated so I can keep it fairly comfortable without. If I found a really good deal on an AC unit and A-Coil I'd build an air handler and have them installed permanently.

Mine involves 2 Tahitian girls in grass skirts waving palm fronds while i sit in my comfy chair sipping an adult beverage!

Works for me!
    John
    ...And now, back to your regularly scheduled shop time...

The coolest thing I do for my shop is play jazz all day. Actually, it's insulated and has dual pane windows. I just open it up at night and close it up during the day -stays cool till about 4 pm. This is all mute when I open the big door and let the heat in.

Jason,

If you use a big fan in your woodshop you had better also wear goggles or you will be blinded by the blowing sawdust. Stirring up the air around me while I'm woodworking isn't something that I would want to do. A slight breeze may be OK, but a big fan will cause problems.

Charley

I cool myself in my garage shop in these ways:

1. Open the doors and windows.
    2. Turn on the attic exhaust fan that is ducted through my garage ceiling.
    3. Turn on the ceiling fan above my workbench (this really helps).
    4. Drink a cool drink.

I guess my shop will NEVER be *cool* caus I love my Hot Oldies Rock. But seriously again, I cut 2 windows into the solid west side of my attached garage. Now I have a natural Breeze thru the shop! When August humidity is really tough, I use a *free* 1/2 hp squirrel cage blower from an old A/C system to create a B R E E Z E!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

One of my shops has a door way that faces North and a small red pine forest. All I have to do is open that door and the one on the South end. Most of the time there is a steady breeze passing from North to South, if not I have a large fan mounted in the North doorway that has a forward and reverse switch so I can move a large amount of air in either direction. If this does not cool the shop I shouldn't be working in it in the first place because it is to hot to be working outside in the first place.
    David B

I don't try to cool the shop....I cool me. That's accomplished by having air circulating and moving across me. In my backyard shop I use a cheapie box fan - and a big mug of tea.
    And now for something completely different....

Homemade Air Conditioning

Just remembered running across this a few years ago. Did a google search on - homemade air conditioning

Here's the one I remember seeing. There are quite a few other links on this subject, too.

http://www.gmilburn.ca/2005/06/14/ho...-conditioning/

Hope someone finds this info to be helpful.

Lee in NC

A simple fan is all I need. My basement shop stays pretty cool as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Galluzzo View Post
    Since we're on the same topic... I've been looking at some of the mini-split units found on the link below since I don't have many options for an opening large enough for a PTAC unit.

http://www.acsuperstore.com/store/LGMINI06.html

I understand that there are some units that sell with pre-charged quick connect refrigerant line sets; making it easier for the the homeowner to install. Has anyone had experience with these?
    I think most of the main brands have the refrigerant in place and do not need to be charged during the installation. ( I have a Fujitsu Mini split)You do need an AC flaring tool however. I watched the guy install mine and ended up lending him all kinds of tools to do the job properly (not that I knew how) he didn't even have a level to make sure the interior units looked level. He was a hack, but friendly. His 17 year old daughter was his apprentice. I ended up redoing most of his hack electrical a few months later. I do love my mini split heat pump though. Dead quiet and AC makes my shop my favourite place to be.

Lee M,
    Thanks for posting the thread. I had seen the site before but had forgotten about it. I have a couple of old dehumidifiers that have non working fans in them but have perfectly good radiators. My well water is so cold year round that I can't keep my hand in the water stream for any length of time without getting cold pain, I think I will do a little experimenting just for fun and may get something to work.
    David B

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

How do I cool my shop?

I wait for November.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville