Thread: Upgrade a Jet 18" BS with quick tension ??

Upgrade a Jet 18" BS with quick tension ??

Is it possible to upgrade an older Jet 18" (5 years) bandsaw with a quick tension bar ? I see the new saw has one, but I do not see any upgrades by anyone for this saw.

Regards,
    Bob.

Hey Bob,

I'm sure it "can" be done but I don't think one is commercially available or at least I don't recall seeing one.

I have Jet's 18 in bandsaw as well, purchased in 2003. This model has the blade tension wheel directly under the top wheel.

I recommend you "upgrade" to not detensioning. It will be a lot cheaper and you can do it today.

Pete

Quick Tension for 18" Jet coming

I spoke with someone at the word working show in Sacramento CA today (4/26/09) and They (carter products) will have one out this summer for the Jet 18".

Regards,
    Bob.

Rikon's recommendation re detensioning

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    I recommend you "upgrade" to not detensioning. It will be a lot cheaper and you can do it today.

Pete
    I went to a little demo-seminar-whatever at the Allentown PA. Woodcraft. There was a Rikon factory rep there. Their recommendation is if the saw is going to sit for a few hours or overnight, don't worry about detensioning. If the saw is going to sit for several days or more go ahead and detension. Bands can develop a memory like belts and cause compression of the bandsaw tires at 12 o'clock on the top wheel and 6 o'clock on the bottom wheel. FWIW.

Curt

I doubt a band can really take a "set" that's operationally significant, but I don't think it's unreasonable to detension if the machine's going to sit for a while. A few turns of the handle and you're done and headed out to spend your quick release money on wood.

Pete

bob any idea of cost on the kit.thanks jim

Price for Carter quick tension for Jet 18"

He did not know, since the mechanism will be larger he guessed it would be closer to $200. I assume they have not put a price on it offically yet. He told me to keep checking their website and when it shows up it would be shipping.

Regards,
    Bob.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post

Pete
    +1 I don't get it. For well over a century, there have been bandsaws. Until recently, no one thought they had a problem because their blade stayed under tension. I've had bandsaws for over 30 years, and never de-tensioned. Also never had a problem with tires getting flat spots, springs losing their strength, etc., etc. To my mind, this is a case of a marketer inventing a problem to reap a financial benefit from "curing" it. Of course, if you use a saw once a year, by all means lower the tension. Then, make sure you readjust the guides after bringing it back up. Pardon the rant...