Thread: Old Timey Computer Desk-Hutch...

Old Timey Computer Desk-Hutch...

I wasn't going to post this until I finished the hutch but.. someone ask me to take some pictures today so why not? The finish is on but curing so it has not been rubbed down with 0000 steel wool and wax to cut down the sheen yet.

All QSWO except drawers of maple. There is a compartment behind the key-board open on the rear that will house surge protector and all main wires as no wires will be seen. CPU in right cabinet with open back to cool.. 2 add on after the fact as my wife asked for them in lieu of shelves after the carcass was built with recessed door. That presented a design problem with door clearance but I adjusted on the fly to get it the way she wants it. The drawers are for manuals.. back up tapes.. etc..

Basically a Stickley hunt-board modified to accept computer components in the way she desired them to be. The hutch will be a modified Liberty & Co. hunt-board hutch modified to accept her small printer.. speakers.. etc. The top is 23" x 63" x 1 1/4" and weighs around 70 pounds with the base at around 60 lbs. The hutch will weigh another 40 lbs. or so and eventually around 140 board feet used over-all. All M & T's.. bridals and dadoes with box joint drawers as the one my father used at the U.S. Post Office for 35 years before his death in 1959. I loved that desk as a kid.

Sorry for my photo skills as they are basically non-existant as my computer skills.

Sarge..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nicely done. I look forward to seeing the whole thing.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Blog Entries
    Nice work!

Beautiful work as usual Sarge.
    ken

very nice looking desk.

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    The finish is on but curing so it has not been rubbed down with 0000 steel wool and wax to cut down the sheen yet.
    what is the finish schedule?
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Thanks... Don.. Jim.. Kenn (nice to see you live and well BTW).. Mike.....

Sean...

I generally allow 8 hours between coats and when all have been applied.. I let the piece sit for around two to three weeks allowing the finish time to throughly gas-off and harden. Then I do the rub-down with 0000 Liberon steel wool and wax which dulls shine down to a low satin as low lustre is what I want on this type of piece. It also kills two birds with one stone as wax is applied with the rub-out.

After that.. I allow the wax to cure for about a week or until my wife (keen sniffer) cannot smell any presence of solvents in the wax. At that point it's ready to take it's place wherever that may be. I get to be in the shop everyday so I time is on my side. I get in no hurry as there are no deadlines to meet.

Sarge..