Thread: I was invited to judge a wonderful woodworking contest

I was invited to judge a wonderful woodworking contest

I was honored with an invitation to judge entries in the Basic Wood Furniture Construction (Category WO-2), Advanced Furniture Construction (Category WO-3), and Cabinet-Making- Carcass construction, Casework, or and Carpentry (Category WO-5). Nine of us from the local Woodworkers Guild participated in judging the Wood entries; the multitude of other categories were judged by various other local community residents, including at least one person who travels from Kansas City to judge this contest.

The event was the North West TEAM Awards Contest. TEAM is the Technology Education Association of Missouri. I invite you to read in detail the descriptions in Page 3 of this document.

The event took place at the cavernous gymnasium of the Missouri Western State University, less than 10 minutes from my house. I find that students involved in the program are learning, and applying sound woodworking principles. And it is always rewarding to me to see the terrific pieces the students produce. The winners will represent the North West District at the State level in just a few weeks.

As a result of this event, I am happy to report that woodworking is alive and well in Northwest Missouri! The examples that follow show the skill level of high school youngsters, and their skill in making furniture.

First, the overall winner - and, I believe, THE winner for the entire District this year - a gun cabinet, designed and made by a student in either 11th or 12th grade (from the entry sheets; no student names, school affiliation, or any other information could be gleaned from the entry sheet):

Notice how the grain flows in the drawers, the tops of the glazed doors, and in the raised panels in the lower section. This gun cabinet was flawless in its execution.

The second-place entry was this chest of drawers, in the same category as the gun cabinet above. This chest was unusual in that the false drawer fronts had the rails running the entire width, and framed the drawer boxes behind them. Also, due to the grain patterns, optical illusion played games on us - we had to measure spacing, to assure ourselves of drawer alignment. And the drawer pulls were in the recessed surfaces:

The following was not a winner, but nice execution, and a reminder to me that I must build a similar dart board cabinet for our Family Room; this one was built, I believe, by a 14-16 year-old student:

Nine members of our Woodworkers Guild participated in judging the entries in the Wood category; here is a nice group photo of several of the members, as the judging deadline neared. Although this white oak and walnut chest with coopered lid did not win, it received many comments for its sheer size - it was enormous, and heavy:

In this next photo I spied several of my fellow Guild members in one of the more serious moments, on the verge of a momentous decision, judging (no pun intended) from the visible tension on the faces - the blonde lady is Cherie, our Guild President:

All of us received a nice "Thank-you" from the Chair of one of the Industrial Technology departments in a local high school in St Joseph, MO (third person from the right, in the blue shirt and the tie):

I am already looking ahead, to learn how our District winners will do in the competition at the State level. I hope to hear, read, or learn the results somehow. And when I do, I will share with all of you.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Wow Al, what an honor.
    the level of skill in these students is enormous. they all deserve honorers.
    and congrats to you for being a judge.
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

Thanks, Chris.

I have been impressed every year I have judged these events. Although Shop (now called Wood Technology, a part of the Industrial Technology program in schools) has been cut in so many of the schools, the ones that have kept it are doing a great job!

Al

Al,
    Looks like some of the projects completed would rival some pro's. It's too bad that some of the "industrial arts" as we called it in school has gone by the wayside. It seems that now only the rural area schools are still offering the classes.
    I have to agree the chest of drawers was a little hard on the eyes to gather the full details of construction. Plus surprised that the chest did not rate higher as I figure that would be a harder project for someone to complete at this level.
    A side question: Is the contest open to public viewing? I wouldn't mind participating as a viewer to personally see the entries. Plus I take it that the students are not involved or on property at the judging time. It would be great to talk to some of them to gather some insight to their ambitions, pride, and skill levels.
    Plus a big "pat on the back" to you for participating in this venture.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

With the demise of woodworking from the shops of high schools across the country in general, it is nice to see that it is still be taughted, learned and practiced at such a high level!

That's cool!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by mark page View Post
    Al,
    Looks like some of the projects completed would rival some pro's. It's too bad that some of the "industrial arts" as we called it in school has gone by the wayside. It seems that now only the rural area schools are still offering the classes...
    Mark,
    When one sees the quality of work, there is no question that some of these could have been made by a pro. And then one wonders WHY shop disappeared from the curriculum.

... I have to agree the chest of drawers was a little hard on the eyes to gather the full details of construction. Plus surprised that the chest did not rate higher as I figure that would be a harder project for someone to complete at this level...
    Others felt similarly, as the chest of drawers was visually stunning. But there were issues with sanding and finishing, stave alignment due to wood movement that detracted from the overall quality, and unfinished edges on the metal straps.

...A side question: Is the contest open to public viewing? I wouldn't mind participating as a viewer to personally see the entries. Plus I take it that the students are not involved or on property at the judging time. It would be great to talk to some of them to gather some insight to their ambitions, pride, and skill levels...
    The event is open to the public, but only after the judging is completed at 12 noon. Once we start judging, no one is allowed on the floor, no teachers, no students, etc. - only the judges. And after the judging is done, there is a 30-minute viewing window, as the Awards Ceremony starts at 12:30 PM, so that buses can get the kids back home as usual.

...Plus a big "pat on the back" to you for participating in this venture.
    Thanks! Except for last year, I have been lucky to participate in the judging three of the last four years. I will give you a heads-up next year, as the event is not advertised outside of the schools. And when it was, in past years, public response was not very good - people are too busy...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    With the demise of woodworking from the shops of high schools across the country in general, it is nice to see that it is still be taught, learned and practiced at such a high level!

That's cool!
    It IS pretty cool, Ken. What a shame it is, that the program's demise does not allow larger participation by kids everywhere. At least here in St Joseph, MO, the high schools still have an active program. KUDOS to them!

My thanks to all for your wonderful insights, and comments.

Al

That would have been great fun. Looks like there were some good entries.
    One good turn deserves another

Al,
    Please keep me informed of the next years event. I would be greatly interested in showing up for it if time permits. It's only about a 25 minute drive for me to MWSU. I feel strongly that to keep these classes in force that it will take more of an active interest outside of the students to ensure so. I do believe that Smithville does not have an industrial arts program, but do not quote me on this one. All my high/middle schoolers now are girls and do the girly girl thing. But your post gives me the motivation to check and see and attempt to participate if one exists.
    Thanks Al.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey