Thread: Which Planer and Jointer

Which Planer and Jointer

Hello all....new guy here just got registered but have been reading lots about tools on here lots of help and info thanks to all.

A bit about me to help decide on new tools. I had a decent shop about 10 years ago with mostly Sunhill machines, 8 inch jointer, 15 inch planer and 3 hp table saw and shaper among other things, these were Chinese or someplace over there made machines. I was mostly satisfied with them except for the table saw which lacked a good fence. Well a few moves and no storage I sold everything a long time ago... I am making a rule to never sell a tool. So now if you can believe this the WIFE thinks I need to buy some new tools so I can finish some things around the house and get back into woodworking, my first jobs will be to make some cabnets for the laundry room and for the mud room and probably a sewing room and the daughter and her new son need a few things too. No lack of projects they will keep me busy.

So on to the tool questions. I have a good table saw...PM 66 so right now I need a planer and jointer and dust collector. If I go with Foxshop or Grizzly I can get more for my money over Powermatic or Jet I guess thats not news to anyone on here. I have been searching Craigslist and not much coming up for what I need. I do have a local shopfox dealer but he doesn't have what I want in stock to see. I guess I am looking for a little imput and opinions on ShopFox as that seems to be at the top of my list. Here are my choices any help to decide would be appricated

I could go with

Powermatic 15inch planer with spiral cutter
    Powermatic 8 inch Jointer with sprial cutter.
    Jet about the same price.

Or I can get a 20 inch Foxshop or Grizzly planer and 12 inch jointer with spiral cutters for about the same price. How does everyone feel about Shopfox quality. I haven't found a lot of glowing reviews about Powermatic lately or is it that everyone expects more from them.

Ok enough rambling let me know your opinions

thanks
    Phil

Floor space. Separate joiner and planer take up more room than a combo jointer/planer. For me, a combo is better.

I would go separate Grizzly machines. I have a Shop Fox W1741 Planer and a Grizzly G0513x2 bandsaw. The fit and finish is better On my Grizzly then My Shop Fox. Grizzly is also cheeper because you cut out the middle man. I'm not dissatisfied with Shop Fox, just making a statement the Grizzly is excellent.

Floor space is not too much of an issue and I think I prefer separate machines.

I am kind of surprised that you think the Grizzly is better then the Shopfox...I guess most have said they feel Shopfox was a step up or the same as Grizzly.
    The dealer quoted me prices that were better then the online prices and a bit cheaper then Grizzly but not enough to sway me one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Johnson View Post
    Floor space is not too much of an issue and I think I prefer separate machines.

I am kind of surprised that you think the Grizzly is better then the Shopfox...I guess most have said they feel Shopfox was a step up or the same as Grizzly.
    The dealer quoted me prices that were better then the online prices and a bit cheaper then Grizzly but not enough to sway me one way or the other.

If you can get Shop Fox for cheeper then Grizzly then I wouldn't hesitate going the Shop Fox route. By the time I would have paid shipping and WA state tax, the Grizzly was a couple hundred cheeper for me. It was shipped from Bib Tool down south so I didn't avoid shipping concerns. My point was that I would not pay extra for Shop Fox over Grizzly. Just make sure if you are compairing the 2 tools they are the same. I have noticed on things like bandsaws Grizzly has more features than the Shop Fox on the same tool. I have seen some Shop Fox Planers with roller infeed and outfeed tables instead of cast iron like Grizzly.

Hi Phil,
    Welcome to the Creek and the abyss of tooling up your shop. You can get lots of great info here.

I had a PM 60B 8" joiner with straight knives that was a good machine, but I have a large stack of old, wide stock that will need milling, so I upgraded to the Griz 609X-12" with spiral and it is a great machine. I like the FFF-fit, finish and function- better than the PM. It is a good value. I had a Parks 12" planer that I really liked, but I wanted wider capacity and spiral as well and I found a 20" Griz 1033 ZX planer on CL for a great price. I haven't spent the time to tune it up totally, but so far, it seems to leave a (very)slightly textured surface that sands out quickly. The Parks left a smoother finish until the knives lost their edge and change-out was a 1+hr ordeal. I think the Griz will be fine when I get it tuned, and knive changes are simple and quick.
    The Griz 0634 12" J/P looks like a good machine and has gotten good reviews here. It may fit your needs as well.

Other Grizzes in my shop are a BS(21"), spindle sander, & edge sander and I'm happy with them all. A bit of a disclaimer--I live close to a showroom so I have had the chance to see all the machines many times and am impressed with their quality. I save on shipping too! Most, if not all, of the companies are manufacturing in Asia and the different brands likely come from the same factories, so my thoughts on choosing are -supporting a local business vs. lower costs online -and concern for customer service. I haven't needed CS from Griz but reports from SMCers are good, and I like Griz's competitive prices over the "retail" stores.

Hope my somewhat biased insights are helpful. Have fun shopping. JCB.

I see that too both Grizzly and FS have two 20 inch planers. One with roller tables and one with cast tables and a little bit different cabinet. I have not been able to find out what the difference is between the two. Does anyone know if one is better then the other.

I see that too both Grizzly and FS have two 20 inch planers. One with roller tables and one with cast tables and a little bit different cabinet. I have not been able to find out what the difference is between the two. Does anyone know if one is better then the other.
    Yeah, I'd like to know this too... I've been following this thread so far but that's just confusing
    Newbie to woodworking, be easy on me

No expert here, but I have had the chance to look, touchy feely, and spin the wheels of the 454, 454Z, 1033X and I have the 1033 ZX. Mine has the roller in/out feeds and I am not sure what the Z designates. The X is for spiral I think. All of them appear to have the same frame, bed raise columns and mech. The 454's have a different base with B/I casters. IIRC the 454's have a diferent spiral cutter design, with the blades at a skew angle. They appeared to be very similar and probably work the same. I imagine SF is the same in white. All in all they are very solid machines. I'd call tech support @ Grizz and they will be more accurate with features.

So far all I found out is the SF 20 inch planer model 1718 is made in Taiwan and the 1754 made in China. The 1754 appears similar to the 1033 Grizzly.

John how do you like that 1033? I may have to take a trip and visit a Grizzly show room. I have called about 6 shopfox dealers and none seem to stock much.

Hi Phil,
    I sure like the way you think! I haven't used the planer much, not at all for any serious dimensioning. It has a bit of snipe and the adjustments seem accessable and simple to do. Looks a lot easier than the Parks. I think it will be a good machine. The previous owner built high-end homes using a lot of exposed timbers, so it has seen some good use and all that needs to be tight is still tight. A little tune-up should help refine the cuts.

You should definetly visit a showroom. The one in Wa. has lots of good sales reps that will help explain the different specs. Lots of nice machines to oogle over too. Good luck, JCB.

Do they even make the model you have anymore 1033zx, I didn't find it on their website. It sounds similar to the FS w1718 which is more money then the 1754.

Do they even make the model you have anymore 1033zx, I didn't find it on their website. It sounds similar to the FS w1718 which is more money then the 1754.
    It has been discontinued as far as I know.

Phil, The ZX version is not in in their catalogue or web. The listed model looks just the same. Not sure of the Z or X designation.