Thread: Natural edge cherry burl bowl/cup/? and 2nd pedestal

Natural edge cherry burl bowl/cup/? and 2nd pedestal

So here's my second attempt at a pedestal. My first was thin. I like this one better, but still not quite what I want. I'll need to just practice making some pedestals alone until I find the look I want.

The top is another piece of cherry burl. I've got several chunks of this, none very solid so I'll be making some more of these things. I don't know what to call this as it's not really a bowl. It's fun making this stuff, but I've discovered air is apparently hard. There's alot of air at the top of these things, but it doesn't seem to cut well.

The finish is spray lacquer.

I'm new to turning things other than pens, so please make any and all comments. You won't hurl my feelings any
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    Ben
    Franklin, GA

Check out my profile for a link to my website to see other things I've made.

Ben is your new to turning any thing beside pens. This is great and I'd like to see your work in a year then. Very fine job. I also think you should keep the first one your self.

Sweeeeeeeet. Keep on turning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Ben - this is very impressive! Beautiful burl, great color combination and a really pleasing form! I am pretty sure if you called this a natural edge goblet, everyone would know immediately what you were talking about.

Pedestals are a lot like finials - you can practice all you want but you have to match the characteristics of the cup portion to the pedestal - and that will vary with each piece. I like the form on this pedestal but feel (my opinion only) it would benefit the piece if it were slightly thinner - same form, just thinner.

To be honest - everything works well on this one and you should be proud of your achievement! Very nice work! Looking forward to you next turning!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

MUCH nicer. Great job.

Much more pleasing to the eye.

Like Steve said, try a little thinner next time and see how that looks.

Toney

You certainly are a quick study. Great job on this one, as well as the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    . . . it would benefit the piece if it were slightly thinner - same form, just thinner. . . .
    I agree with this comment. Orignially I was going to do a box, and the finial for the box was going to continue the tear drop design, only it was going to be smaller than the pedestal base. I would put a third very small teardrop at the tip of the finial. I was thinking it would create a stair step look from a distance.

When I started making the top, I realized it would either have to go right to the edge of the opening and cover the hole on the back, or it would have to go so low it wouldn't actually be a box anymore. I had already parted off the base at this point, so I was stuck where I'm at. Over all I think it is much better than the first pedestal I did. I may still make the top anyway just for the experience of doing it.
    --
    Ben
    Franklin, GA

Check out my profile for a link to my website to see other things I've made.

Awesome! Good suggestions... but awesome! Can't believe this is only the second.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Your "elevated NE goblet" is just breath taking! I like it all on its own without the pedestal but the pedestal brings a whole new dimension to the piece. Lovely color combination and form. I like the thicker pedestal on this one...Bill...

Very nice looking piece. Really like the pedestal. For your second it is very well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ben,
    This pedestal is so much better than your first attempt! The design is nice and so are the curves. I agree with others...you might want to go a little thinner with it.

Try flipping the pedestal over as well to see how it looks to you. I think pedestals have a better effect when the thin portion is closer to the bottom. It makes the piece seem more tall and delicate. Try re-arranging and thinning the elements of the pedestal in photoshop to get exactly what you want.

Good luck,
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 04-28-2009 at 11:02 PM.