Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help this noob with outfitting his 'shop'?

Help this noob with outfitting his 'shop'?

Apologies in advance for the long post.

I've recently gotten the woodworking bug and ever since, I've been devouring information from forums like these. But I'd like to ask for some recommendations specific to my situation if I could...

I've budgeted $800-1000 for purchasing a new tool or tools in the next couple of weeks and I'm trying to figure out which path to follow.

Some details - I'm interested in building solid-body electric guitars, some small home furniture projects (bookshelves, etc.), some modest home improvement/repair, trim work, etc.

My shop is actually an old springhouse. Roughly 16x19. One 40" entry door with a few steps leading up to it. It has it's own sub-panel piggy-backed off the house panel. No 220, but 6 or 8 individual 120 circuits, some 15A and some 20A.

My tool arsenal so far consists of....

10" Delta power miter saw (not great, but decent)
    PC 690 Router in a Bosch router table with a small assortment of decent bits.
    Ryobi 12" drill press
    Ryobi 9" bandsaw (the only purchase so far that I regret)
    Skilsaw circular saw (old and not great)
    Delta 1HP DC and DIY air filter (window fan/furnace filter setup)
    big ShopVac
    a good makita cordless drill/driver, a couple palm sanders, a couple jig saws, hand saws, a kreg screw jig, not enough clamps, a dovetail jig, and other assorted stuff

The obvious first choice was a table saw. But I'm hurting for space here, and safety is a concern due to my inexperience. And again, no 220.

Tied for first is a real workbench.

So I've been thinking of maybe an EZ saw track setup and new circular saw to supplant the table saw for breaking down sheet goods for the bookshelves and things. And maybe it could be incorporated into a bench that would serve regular bench duty when I'm not using the EZ?

Other ideas....a second and maybe third 690 to keep for non-table use? (Lots of routing involved in the guitar building!)

Maybe a small compressor for finish nailing and general shop/house use?

More and better clamps, bits, rules, etc. are a given and will be part of the plan as are the consumables - lumber, fasteners, sandpaper, etc.

I'd love to hear other ideas...maybe hopefully things I haven't even considered yet. Keep in mind I'm stuck with buying new most of the time - not a lot of craigslist activity in my neck of the woods, for example.

My intuition says either a table saw or a bandsaw, spending the whole amount on one or the other if it is new. (See Grizzly for best bang for the buck).

How about bandsaw use for making guitars. Seems like a lot of curves.

Thanks for letting us help you spend you money!

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    My intuition says either a table saw or a bandsaw, spending the whole amount on one or the other if it is new. (See Grizzly for best bang for the buck).

How about bandsaw use for making guitars. Seems like a lot of curves.

Thanks for letting us help you spend you money!

Brian
    I'm sure I would appreciate a good bandsaw. But I'm a bit worried I won't get a ton of use out of it relative to what a good one would cost? The little Ryobi can handle the rough cut of a guitar neck blank, but I haven't tried a full thickness body blank yet (8/4), nor have I tried upgrading the blade. I'm a little worried it will be like trying to cut a brick with dental floss...

So... definitely a consideration - thanks for the input!

Thumbs up

16' x 19' isn't big, but it's adequate if you're careful. It's a good idea to post your general geographic area...people may know of good deals on tools, and some close by may even offer hands on help. (woodworkers tend to be a pretty nice bunch!)

A decent table saw is the #1 tool in my shop, but YMMV. A hybrid saw offers a full size table that takes up less room than a traditional contractor saw with the motor hanging out the back. They also have ample power and good stability within your price range.

A router is pretty important for guitar making...your 690 is nice router, but you may find that you want/need more than one. You may also find that a bigger router table, possibly mounted in your TS wing, will be useful.

I had a little 9" Ryobi BS, then switched to a bigger cast iron 12" Craftsman. I think ultimately a 14" is better yet.

You may eventually want a thickness planer and a jointer...the natural progression from those brings the subject of dust collection into the picture.

Good used tools are usually your best bang for the buck. Making your workbench and router table saves money and are both great early projects.

Your local library should have several good wwing books....check them out.

Here's my layout in an 11' x 19" space:
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-27-2009 at 7:39 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

For me, the TS would be priority #1, also. I would also consider either mobile bases or very stable casters for all of the floor machines. You'll find this to be very helpful in small quarters. I would check the used route to get more bang for the buck to begin with. There are LOTS of good deals out there right now on used woodworking machines.

I know that many will disagree with me but, you can get a lot of mileage out of a good 10" contractor's TS, properly set up and with a 2HP motor on it. Many members here in fact do just that, myself included. Sure, I'd like a bigger, better TS but the fact is I don't need one for what I do.

A good 14" BS with a riser block should take care of your stated needs. Again, there are some great deals out there right now on used BS's. If you can't find what you want in a used saw, I'm with Brian: Check out Grizzly for more bang for your buck in the new machine department.

Good luck with your choices and happy woodworking!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

If it were me, I'd spend $200 on an EZ, $200 on an upgraded circular saw and the rest on a decent 14" bandsaw. You can get the GO555X right now for $575 although I'd look for a used Delta, the older the better, and save a little money. I've lived without a table saw for a long time and probably will never have another one. You can do a lot with a decent bandsaw.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I think you've got a nice space to work with.

John
    Last edited by John Bailey; 04-28-2009 at 5:56 AM.
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Thanks again for the input so far.

I'm in the sticks east of Pittsburgh PA. I've been asking around and checking CL regularly but haven't spotted any good used tool deals to fit my needs and wants. With garage sale season coming around, maybe that will change...

I just caught wind of the Home Depot power tool sale, and it might sway me....I could walk away with a Rigid 4511 hybrid table saw, the Rigid 13" thickness planer, and another PC router and stay within my budget. The 4511 is a very heavy machine though - I'll need to double check my floor support.

I think a larger bandsaw is an inevitability, especially with the guitar building in mind. But I'm having trouble seeing it as a top priority right now. I feel like it's something I could wait on, maybe until a great used deal comes along. I can even rough out the guitar shapes with a jigsaw if need be. The final shaping happens with a pattern-following routing bit riding my templates, and sanding, and other hand carving.

The building in question...too embarrassed to take any pics of the inside yet:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure why you are fussing about space in a 16x19 space... I am in 12x16 and have the following equipment...

Ryobi BT3100 with full wide table kit. (72" right rip capacity).
    Ryobi AP1301 13" planer
    Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating belt / spindle sander. (My FAVORITE tool so far).
    Sunhill SM-150B 6" benchtop jointer.
    Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw, riser block, upgraded guides, blades, and fence.
    Harbor Freight 12x36" lathe. (Jet 1236 clone).
    Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector.
    Big shop vac with Thien Trash can cyclone.
    Small shop vac for messy stuff.
    B&D Firestorm miter saw & stand.
    Workbench.
    6" bench grinder.
    Old Mechanics rolling tool chest stack.
    Ryobi Biscuit Joiner.
    Ryobi VSR Driver / Drill
    Craftsman VSR drill.
    Ryobi Quarter sheet sander.
    Skil orbital sander.
    Ryobi detail sander.
    Old 14 amp Skil Saw. Old but it works real well.
    Old Skil jig saw. Absolute junk.
    Arrow stapler / brad nailer (my BIG tool regret, this thing is JUNK!)
    Shop built clamp racks stuffed with HF bar clamps, pipe clamps, Wolfcraft strap clamps etc...
    Wall full of hand tools, measuring & marking tools

Your 16x19 would feel monsterously large to me! It's all in how your organize it. And mine is a MESS right now!

If it were me outfitting that shop, I would be looking at a table saw, or a larger band saw. Resawing veneer would be virtually impossible with that little Ryobi. It should be obvious I am not anti Ryobi...

If you REALLY want a good belt drive, riving knife equipped table saw, that is affordable, and stows somewhat easily, take a look at the Craftsman Model #21829. It is basically an upgraded Ryobi BT3100 mounted on a nice folding stand... These saws have a pretty big following, of very happy users.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

My shop is only 11" X 20". Its loaded with tools.

I second the comments on a table saw. Its the workhorse of a shop in my opinion. With the budget you have Id give Grizzly serious consideration. Watch bulletin ads maybe you'll find a good used tablesaw. I sold a Bosch 4000-09 for only $350 and it was perfect shape.

Also take a look at industrial auctions at w w w (dot) irsauctions.com

So many wood working places going out of business. You might find some tools you find is worth a drive to pick up.
    One good turn deserves another

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    I am in 12x16
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gifford View Post
    My shop is only 11" X 20".
    Amateurs. My shop is 9x10

To the OP. You wont regret purchasing a decent TS. I'm in Philly and about 3 hrs away from Grizzly. Muncy/Williamsport is sort of on the way from Philly to PBurg which puts you about 4 hrs away. If funds don't allow, purchase a solid contractors saw which I don't doubt will serve your needs well. Of course if a uni pops up on CL, itd be a better option.

Nice shop building you have BTW. Its look like the woodwrights shop

ps

11. Mike, I build solidbody electric guitars, and I remember when I was in the guitar building and repair program in Red Wing, Minnesota that the question of what stationary power tools were necessary was asked and discussed.

The first stationary tool I bought was a spindle sander. This is crucial for sanding inside curves of a guitar body as well as some parts of the neck, such as the transition of the neck to the headstock. Another good tool to have is a disc sander to sand the outside curves of a guitar body. The Rigid EB4424 would give you the spindle sander and edge sander, and you could use the edge sander to sand the outside curves. About $250.

You already have a drill press and router. Mention has been made of updating to a better and larger bandsaw, and that would be an excellent idea. If you are buying your wood rough sawn a planer and/or drum sander would be a good idea, as would a jointer.

Since the amount of workspace is limited the Shop Fox benchtop jointer, W 1694, might be right for you. I have it and use it to prepare the edges of wood before gluing them. It may not face plane large boards very well, but for what I use it for it works well. The Grizzly GO612 seems to be the same jointer. Less than $200, more shipped.
    Last edited by Perry Underwood; 04-28-2009 at 4:55 AM.

Thanks again guys. Sorry if I came off wrong about the size - put it this way - I don't want to turn what is a comfortable space into an uncomfortable one. It also doesn't help that this building is a catch-all for misc. junk. Anybody need an old Bowflex, with free bonus sawdust protective coating?

Perry, good call on the spindle sander. Right now I have a small drum sanding kit for the drill press. It works pretty decently. But a dedicated machine would be nice. And the oscillating probably helps a lot, eh?

So far nearly everyone is in agreement on the TS which is pretty telling...

Mike, I really like your shop building! It has the sort of character that appeals to my eye. I think that it's also very cool that you're giving new life to an old spring house. Is the spring still a good spring?

Thanks for posting the photo of your shop. My first thought when I saw that was......he's got room to grow should he ever decide to build a shed roof addition to that building!

I, too, live in the sticks. My shop, such as it is, is an ongoing project that I've been working on for several years. Thus far it's a roughly 12 X 48 section of a 38 X 48 100 year old barn. When I tackled this project it had dirt floors and dilapidated animal stalls in what is now the shop area. It's got a long ways to go but I keep in mind that it has come along ways already. I get a good feeling from knowing that the building has "history".

Be proud of your shop!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Have a yard sale for some of that "misc junk" and add some more tool dollars to your budget.

If you have an electrician friend, go ahead and put 220 in your shop. Since you already have a sub-panel, it shouldn't be a huge expense. (Maybe that bowflex will pay for it. ) That'll open up more options for you.

Do check out Grizzly, if you haven't already done so. They have quite a bit of merchandise geared to guitar makers.

In my 12x16 shop, I have a 3 hp table saw, 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, 12" planer, (all Grizzly) and a compressor, scroll saw, workbench, a full size gas stove double laundry sink, and a battery charger. (Last 3 for restoring cast iron cookware.) Plus, and assortment of small stuff.

With your space, I'd be in hog heaven. With stuff to sell to get more tools, I'd be in even bigger hog heaven!

Jes my 2-cents, this morn.

Bandsaw

I think some other posters have hit on the essential logic of your situation:

What tools do you need to build solid body guitars?

I have talked with one guy who resaws full width guitar blanks from thick stock, and for him the most important power tool is a bandsaw with sufficient cutting height and power for that task. I'm not sure he even owns a tablessaw.

Without 220V service you will be limited to 2HP or less, but I think that would get the job done. Really fancy resaw bandsaws are being offered with 3-5HP, so perhaps plan to upgrade the electrical service?

How wide do you plan to make your guitar body? There is your defining point if you will be resawing body blanks.

With a nice bandsaw it sounds like you might not even need a tablesaw.