Thread: cheating on my hobby

cheating on my hobby

Not as bad as cheating on your spouse mind you, but still...

I was going to make my wife some various mission/arts and crafts type furniture after I finish my kitchen, but then this stuff came up on Craigslist and I couldn't pass it up. I estimate I got it at 25-30% of retail. I'm not even sure I could buy the wood for what I paid for this set. It's pretty well constructed. Dovetailed drawers front and back. The drawers are cedar. There are only a few boards that aren't *exactly* quartersawn oak. They are clearly flat sawn, but ok I can live with that. The person I bought it from still had the catalog from Noble Furniture (now out of business) and it says it's all mortise and tenon construction. All the sides of the case pieces are frame and panel. There is also a large mirror not shown.

My only two complaints are the lack of corbels on the case pieces (the bed has them) and the cheesy wood filler in the dovetails (see picture next post). I do like how the sides step in slightly from the fronts and the backside of the drawer front is sanded with a little round off. I would make final fitting of the drawer fairly easy (see picture next post).

Well on the bright side, I get to move onto those Morris Chairs sooner!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Reece; 04-27-2009 at 9:58 PM.

2nd set of pics

some of the drawers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice catch! I've got a couple of pieces from Noble too from 8 years ago. Holding up very well. I was surprised to find all cedar drawers, the nightstand is keeping my woodworking magazines nice & pristine.

Someday I've gotta make another nightstand for SWMBO, but I have to figure out how to duplicate that finish first.

Yeah, nice catch. Looks like good stuff. But I do agree... it's a real shame that they skimped on the corbels. The dressers are really poorer because of that... You can't even add them yourself, as the tops do not stick out enough.
    "It's Not About You."

I have a very similar set (square slats instead of panels on the bed), holding up well. I also need to duplicate the finish so I can make the mirror.