Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: what invades my shop at night?

Barring a time lapse digital camera:
    Grab a book, a six pak, and a small reading light and camp out in your shop after you close up.

Maybe it will be made plain while you recline.
    On the other hand maybe you don't want to know what evil is lurking in the dark corners. Maybe some mysteries are best left unsolved.

You might not want to stay in there after dark.......

Maybe stress cracks in the concrete? If so maybe without knowing it you have invented the concrete world's version of magnetic particle inspection. .....................

4. Centipedes

motion activated trail camera
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    Centipedes
    That's what I was going to say. Just smushed one in my kitchen yesterday.

-Brian

Every time it rains I get worms that crawl under my overhead door. They don't last long in the sawdust though. At least I welcome them as my yard is all peanut butter clay composition and they will help out there. I did have a stare down contest with a wolf spider the other day about the size of a coffee can lid. He won. Did I say I have a phobia of spiders???? I was going to suggest slugs but don't think they'd make it too far in sawdust though????
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

My guess would be stress cracks and moisture migration.

Snakes. The floor of my old shop used to look like that every so often shortly before finding a garden snake hiding in the corner which I quickly decapitated with a garden shovel

ps

Put a glue trap down, and see what you catch.

My recent experience, opening the door to the workshop, turning the lights on, and having a soaking wet Racoon standing there. Bugger went through the cat door to get away from the rain we had earlier from a thunderstorm.

Needless to say the cats were spooked and fuzzed up big time...

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    Centipedes
    MILLIONS AND BILLIONS of 'em.

They can invade a human couple in bed in the night and the toxic venom is anesthetic so you don't wake up till they are near done eating you.

Whatever you do, don't leave a trail of centipede crumbs from the shop to the bedroomPlayingWithFire.jpg

Aliens....first they attack the clothes dryer steeling socks and then on to the shop taking pencils and hiding rulers and tape measures...be afraid...very, very afraid

I vote for bugs. Maybe millipedes? Centipedes?

I think I've seen beetles make tracks like that. I'll second the spy mission or glue trap ideas as well. If you have a camera with these features, here's what I've done in the past (to see the bear who was destroying my bird feeders):

Set up a video camera on a tripod, set it for time-lapse (I set mine to take a few seconds of video every 2 minutes), and either leave a light on or use the infrared setting. I saw my bear this way, plus all the raccoons, skunks, possums, fishers, foxes, coyotes, and other critters whom I didn't know were visiting me - very interesting and entertaining. I have an older Sony DV camera that came with these features - not sure how standard they are, though.

all great suggestions! I think I figured it out though... Centipedes was the closest answer to what I believe it to be. Millipedes. (sp?) THis hasn't happened since last summer but if it rains a lot there will be hundreds of them huddled together under the weather flange of the overhead door. Forgot all about that, supposing they come out and hunt dust mites at night, that would make sense.