Thread: How to get shop plans drawn up?

How to get shop plans drawn up?

I'm looking at building onto my garage to form a dedicated shop. I have a good idea of the size I want and can have due to lot limitations, electrical needs, windows, and general layout. What are my options for getting plans done? I'd like something of sufficient detail that I can go to contractors and say "Give me a bid on this basic plan, plus a breakout cost for these potential additional features."

Do I need an architect? Are there other options? I suspect that this won't be as simple as, say, a rectangular garage due to things I want like an in-slab trench for running DC pipe and electrical lines to the center of the shop, as well as keeping this as wide open as possible clear to the roof.

Thanks...

Kirk

Go talk with the local building department first to see what you will need, like permits, blueprints, and local codes, etc....

Chances are you will need blueprints, which means you need an architect.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

What I did was drew up what I wanted done. So in Visio I drew the layout of my existing house then I added my garage that i wanted to add. I then sent it to an architect and he drew up the plans. I got it done for like $500. Remember to tell them how high you want your ceilings and what not. I am currently adding a 24'x61' addition to my house with 10' ceilings. I am choosing to put the DC system over head to save on money. Plus it lets me have the big choice in how I layout my shop and it is easier to expand in the future.

Chuck

Look in the yellow pages (yes they still exist) for "home plan services." Here locally we have a guy has done THOUSANDS of plans over the years. He uses a set of arch. standard drawings for the details that must be included for plans to the permit / inspection process. Of course the arch. use them also. Also try to talk to a "free standing garage builder." They do nothing but garages, are usually the cheapest, and quickest. Most will build your shop in less than 30 days. They understand shops / garages.

Kirk,
    The other way to handle the garage/shop expansion is to think of it a interior closet expansion that nobody should care about and just quietly go do it.
    That is, if the local laws permit such stuff..........
    rich S.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Look in the yellow pages (yes they still exist) for "home plan services." Here locally we have a guy has done THOUSANDS of plans over the years. He uses a set of arch. standard drawings for the details that must be included for plans to the permit / inspection process. Of course the arch. use them also. Also try to talk to a "free standing garage builder." They do nothing but garages, are usually the cheapest, and quickest. Most will build your shop in less than 30 days. They understand shops / garages.
    Thanks, Bruce. I had thought of the garage contractor, but didn't know about the home plan service. I'll look into each. I have visited the city web page for info on lot coverage, set-backs, etc.

I think, though, a 600 sq ft "interior closet" might be of concern to the property tax folks.

Kirk

Did exactly what you are envisioning a few years ago. I added a shop to the back of my attached 2 car garage and made it look like it "belonged" there from the outside with the matching windows, siding etc. I found a draftman that did these sort of plans for people for much less cost than an architect. He also could direct me to as many former customers as I wanted to visit and ask about his work and see the final results etc. Worked like a charm. I ended up with full blown plans that the carpenter and electrician could work from.

Good Luck.
    Lewis