Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening a paint scraper

Sharpening a paint scraper

Just wondering how people sharpen these. I have several around including one with a carbide tip that I got from Lee Valley, but they are all dull after lots of paint and finish scraping. I think the painters typically just run a file over the edge. I have a coarse (220 grit equivalent) DMT diamond stone and some water stones (1000/4000) but was wondering what effective grit is useful vs overkill. Is there a special technique or is it like a chisel where you flatten and then do the bevel?
    --Rob

I have two flavors of "paint scrapers". One that has a knife edge, and that is what you are referring to I believe, and then I have putty knives that act as paint scrapers. These latter types, I put a square edge on the business end. For the first flavor, I flatten the back (well, I get all the gook off of it, which does the same thing) and then put a slight convex bevel on it, which is done by raising the handle end as I pull it backwards on whatever stone I happened to grab out of my stone drawer.

Todd

I just take a sanding belt to mine. I'm going to abuse it anyway what do I care about the quality of the edge?

As for the Carbide: get a medium or coarse $50.00 DMT whetstone. Honestly, I can't see carbide as a viable material because you can't field sharpen it easily.

Those Green grinding wheels will cut carbide but they make a mess of the edge. The guys used to whack 'em and break 'em when shop managers would install them instead of the diamond wheels.

Carbide dust is a carcinogen. Stay away from the grinder!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    I just take a sanding belt to mine. I'm going to abuse it anyway what do I care about the quality of the edge?

As for the Carbide: get a medium or coarse $50.00 DMT whetstone. Honestly, I can't see carbide as a viable material because you can't field sharpen it easily.

Those Green grinding wheels will cut carbide but they make a mess of the edge. The guys used to whack 'em and break 'em when shop managers would install them instead of the diamond wheels.
    I have the DMT stone so can use that. I almost always use the scrapers at my house so the hassle with carbide that you mentioned isn't really a factor for me.

If you are scraping paint anything beyond a fine file is a waste of time. You need to sharpen about every five minutes and your stoned edge will be wiped out by the paint on the first pull. Don't over think the job.....

I can't see the reason for a carbide edge. When I'm refinishing a floor I just keep a fine file in my back pocket and every 20 feet or so tune up the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Carbide dust is a carcinogen. Stay away from the grinder!!
    I can't find any information that supports your statement.
    http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsamp...CH_267100.html

http://www.mastercuttool.com/Assets/msds.pdf

Have you any more information than the bare allegation?

Cliff

If the composition of carbide is broken down it can consists of cadmium, chromium,tungsten and lead among other things.

Each of these materials have their own associated health risks, and would be present in the dust created during grinding operations. A search on the individual element/components will identify those risks.
    Some of the individual metals are pretty nasty.

An internet search using "Hard Metals" and "lung cancer" brings up some interesting pages/data that would seem to support Todd's statement.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 04-29-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    Have you any more information than the bare allegation?
    Hi Cliff. My bare allegation comes from my friend, who used to own and operate a commercial sharpening service that his father started.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Hi Cliff. My bare allegation comes from my friend, who used to own and operate a commercial sharpening service that his father started.
    I told my machinist brother. He has been sharpening carbide tools for over 40 years. He said he can't remember anybody getting cancer but that is not very scientific. It could very well be a coincidence. Clifford.

Those red-handled paint scrapers from Red Devil (the ones with the slightly hooked blades) can be very useful tools; kept sharp with a mill file, and used sensitively, they can remove dried glue, level inlays, get into corners, etc. I think the single-bladed 1" size is the most useful, but also have the 2" and 3".

My carbon steel scrapers (Hyde, Red Devil) I sharpen with a mill file as Frank does. My carbide scrapers (Sandvik, now called Bahco) I don't sharpen. They stay sharp far, far longer (a big deal to me if I have a whole house to scrape); the scraper blade has two edges- just reverse it when it gets dull. imho the replacement blades are relatively inexpensive considering how long they last. The Bahco's are much more comfortable and work so much better the Red Devil/Hyde tools don't get used so much any more.

When I'm scraping loose and/or peeling paint prior to repainting, I use a carbide scraper, with either a 2- or 2 1/2-inch blade. They stay very sharp for a long time, and their death is usually indicated by a bunch of nicks in the blade from hitting nails hidden beneath years of paint. The initial outlay is about $10 ($15-20 for the 2.5" version), with a 2-edged blade, and replacement blades are a few dollars.

I also have a scraper handle that came with a set of 6 steel (HSS? High-carbon?) blades, each blade with 2 profiles on it for detail scraping. That saved my bacon on an exterior window job. The handle even has a little metal file inset into it, held in place by a magnet.

Nothing else in my repertoire, scraper-wise, other than wire brushes and my trusty-dusty painter's 5-in-1 (don't leave home without it), which I generally keep pretty sharp.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    When I'm scraping loose and/or peeling paint prior to repainting, I use a carbide scraper, with either a 2- or 2 1/2-inch blade. They stay very sharp for a long time, and their death is usually indicated by a bunch of nicks in the blade from hitting nails hidden beneath years of paint. The initial outlay is about $10 ($15-20 for the 2.5" version), with a 2-edged blade, and replacement blades are a few dollars.
    Jason--how do you sharpen your carbide one?

I guess I was seduced by the claims in the LV catalog that the carbide scrapers stay sharp way longer. I used mine to remove old floor finish around the edges of a room prior to sanding and refinishing. But its profile didn't let me get into a few tight spots and I had to also get a SS one which when new seemed sharper than the worn carbide one. I'll try the DMT diamond stone and see how that works.