Thread: Chisel types

Chisel types

A real newbie question.

I'm new to turning and am starting out with some basic spindle turning for tool handles though I do want to get more into this arena. I have seen some good advise here on starter chisel sets and I do have a few tools now. I have also been picking up some tools on eBay, thus the need to turn handles!

Here is my question. Am I right in assuming that all lathe chisels have tangs rather than sockets? It seems that a socket would be too easily dislodged by the lateral forces of turning.

Thanks
    RD

By socket, do you mean like a timber-framing slick? Right, there are no sockets on turning tools (except maybe some really old ones). But most of them don't have tangs either. Spindle roughing gouges typically do have tangs, as do skews, scrapers, and some cheaper tools (basically anything made of flat stock). Most decent gouges are made from round bar, and the shank of the tool is the same round bar. That adds a lot of strength to the tool.

I may be using the terms improperly.
    I mean a wooden handle where the handle is inserted into a metal socket as opposed to the end of the metal blade - I thought this is the tang?- being embedded in the wooden handle.

What you describe sounds MUCH stronger if I am undersatnding it. All metal - no wood?

Could you direct me to a product line that uses this construction?

buck.jpg

socket.jpg
    RD

Richard,
    Google "Woodcraft"; "Craft Supplies USA", or "Thompson Lathe Tools" and you cab get an idea of the various tools out there. Typically only the flat tools (scrapers, skews, etc) have what you are calling a tang that is inserted into the wooden handle. Most round tools (gouges, hollowing tools, etc) are round bar stock that has the flute milled into it. The round bar is just inserted into the handle. The exception is the spindle roughing gouge which is formed from flat stock and has a tang. I hope that helps.

Dave

Look Here

Here's something you can download that may help:
    http://thompsonlathetools.com/handles.asp
    Ron
    A turning a day keeps the doctor away.

The socket type in 2nd picture is not for lathe tools.
    The 3 tools in the first picture do not have strong handle construction for lathe tools. Now the safer spindle roughing gouge has round steel handle.

Be sure to keep your tool rest close; never allow too much tool over hang over the tool rest. If you have a big catch, the tang may snap and the sharp tool thrown out at high speed is very dangerous.
    If you can, I highly recommend you find a local turning club in your area.
    http://www.woodturner.org/community/...alChapters.asp
    The membership is the best bargain in woodturning.
    Gordon

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Unfortunately my hand tool addiction limits my ability to feed the lathe monkey right now but I think I can swing some basic tools.

All I have right now for a lathe is a ShopSmith I inherited, but as I finish out other areas of the shop I may look into a medium size lathe.

Besides, a lathe will help me fix the car and save us all kinds of money!
    Yeah - that's what I'll tell her!

RD

Richard,
    Tidewater Turners is probably the nearest affiliate of the American Assn of Woodturners to your location. They meet the 4th Tuesday of each month at the Woodcraft in Norfolk. (Darn the timing---that was yesterday.) Site link: http://www.tidewaterturners.net/
    TT prides itself on being a teaching club. Try it.
    I'm local and will gladly go over fundamentals with you in my shop (Chesapeake). Send me a PM if interested.

BobV