Thread: Powermatic 3520b - to buy or not to buy?

Powermatic 3520b - to buy or not to buy?

I have been sucked into the vortex. My little turncrafter pro has caused me to want to jump head first into the vortex. I'd like to try and do some bowls and plates next, but I'm not sure if the little turncrafter is up for it?

So, I've been thinking about buying an upgrade. So far I think the PM 3520b is a lathe I can use for the rest of my life.
    I was close (just a bit late) to buying the great deal that was in the creek's classified a couple weeks back.
    I just saw an email from Woodcraft on a 20% off PM tools on May 15th & 16th. Has anyone ever seen a better sale that this? I think even the MS cashback had a limit on it. I'm thinking I won't see a lower price, but I'd hate to buy it just at that time.

Please someone tell me to wait for a better deal. The vortex is soo strong.

Thanks
    James

Hope this helps.

I hear Checkers are a lot of fun.

Go ahead and get it over----you only live once.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

What will the woodcraft price be after the sale discount? I got mine delivered to the nearest freight terminal from THE TOOLNUT store for $2950 including freight and I didn't have to pay sales tax. This included the 18" extension and a Powermatic sign. Sean at TOOLNUT is great to do business with. I had it in just about a week after ordering.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

To my knowledge, the Woodcraft sale of the 3520b should be the lowest price available but you should factor in tax. There is the possibility that if you get it via the website you may not pay tax.

A while back I bought a number of K-Bodys when they were on sale. Got it thru the website and didn't pay tax tho there is a local store just 1/2 mile away.

Call them for an out-the-door price, otherwise, ToolNut is where most of us have been Mustardized.

As to buy or not to buy, I had a Nova 1624 for 2 years then bought the Mustard. Placed an ad in Craigslist and had the Nova sold within 1 hour. I think the Mustard is about the best lathe value going. You get a lot of lathe for a little money.

Burt

Don't think you will pay tax

because Woodcraft sold all their stores as franchises so their web business is independent and doesn't have a corporate "presence" in states other than Mass. But this happy state of affairs mayn't last much longer as I understand the states are very close to a national agreement to tax all internet business.
    Jerry Hall

Your little turncrafter will turn bowls. Just not BIG bowls.

So I say SCREW IT!, just get the PM 3520B, you only live once.

I have a jet mini and plan to order my PM very soon.

As a new 3520 owner myself, i say go for it, you know you want to... I'm glad I bought mine and like you, figure it will last a lifetime.

Oh yea, might as well start collecting tool catalogs too!

Take the plunge!!!

James - you can always hold off and wait for a better deal..... but then you go without. You know what you want for a lathe - get it! Once you are turning on your new lathe - you won't even think about what ever deal you took advantage of!

Looking forward to seeing the photos of you new lathe - real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

My Powermatic is about 2 months old. I had a Jet mini, ( which I still Have) Find your best deal and go for it. I have not regretted getting mine.
    Ron

You're not going to find anyone here that will steer you away from the 3520b, now that you've brought it up. I also bought from Toolnut last summer. Give Sean a call and compare prices.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Jack,
    The decision to buy or not buy is always the hardest. It sounds as if you have made that decision, so where to buy should be much easier. Find a dealer local, if possible, and ask them to come close to the other prices you have undoubtedly already gotten form the Internet Dealers. (All of which that were mentioned are great). Even if they are a few hundred $ over the internet sellers it would always be in your best interest to have a great relationship with your local dealer. Especially if you have any trouble with your lathe. ( which you will probably will not have, but you never know). I bought my "Mustard Monster" from a local dealer and he also had the best price. I now get Red Carpet treatment from him and his sales staff when there is a bargain to be had, and he is always glad to see me and talk to me about turning, Etc. He is not always the low price, but being local adds value to the products he sells and that is very important.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I would go for it! The 3520 holds its value very well, and if you had to sell it, you would recoup a large amount of your original cost. So , you really cannot go wrong.

When I purchased mine last fall, I compared prices and felt purchasing locally (for about $100 more than on the net) was best for me. I was able to help the local economy (Michigan) and felt any damage during transportation caould be taken care of by the local dealer instead of me messing around with it. (I did have damaged machinery delivered by a transport company , getting everything straightened out was extra effort.)

I have not encountered a single person who purchased a 3520 and regretted it, so I think you will be pleased!

I agree with Ken. I got my 3520b from a local dealer. I told him about the quotes I'd gotten elsewhere, and he matched the price AND gave me free lift gate service, and the driver actually helped me maneuver it through my shop to where I wanted it placed.

Not just yes, but HECK Yeah!

I have turned for a long time on something small. It worked. It really did. But the feeling of turning on a truly great lathe is impossible to describe but easy to understand once you get the chance for yourself. Won't even go back. Nope nope nope. Not ever.

Joshua