Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uses for Osage Orange

Uses for Osage Orange

A friend brought over six nice 8' x 12"-16" osage orange/bodark/hedge logs today for me to saw. He thought they were something else. (I won't embarrass him by telling what.) I have more Osage Orange than I'll ever turn in my lifetime or use for singletrees, fence posts or Indian bows.

My question is: What is Osage Orange good for besides turning? Anyone ever use it for flat stock projects?

He's thinking of having me saw it into 1 by's and 2 by's and building patio tables and Adirondack chairs. Will it work?

Nah, its no good for any of that. Send it to me & I'll dispose of it properly on my lathe. In short time it will be nothing but shavings.

Actually, I think I have seen it as boards, so it may work.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Talking Osage Orange

Forget it....terrible wood, ugly, too soft, cracks easily, hard to stain.
    Send it to me and I will make duck calls from it.

See attached photo:

art jordan

A friend made a bar top from it not long ago. I don't see why it wouldn't work for any projects you wanted, just keeping in mind that the yellow color will be replaced with brown and that anything will be much heavier.

Once again the weight is a consideration, but there have been multitudes of threads here dealing with suitable wood for outdoor furniture. I've read a number of cases of bois d'arc fence posts being in the ground many many years with no deterioration. And as hard and close-grained as the stuff is splinters shouldn't be an issue. I've mentioned before that a finish carpenter told me of an entry door he made of it and said it was one of the prettiest pieces he had done. I'll confess I've not used it for any projects; I'm going to have to make something from it so I'll have some first hand knowledge.
    And now for something completely different....

For flat work, I like to use it as inlay for accents.

Mostly i've turned it.

Here's a little story that might give you some additional ideas on how to put that Bois d'Arc to use. Awhile back my wife comes to me with this cake server that has a broken handle and asks me if I can fix it. The handle was some type of porcelain, but it had shattered into too many pieces to even contemplate gluing the bits back to together. I tell her, "I could turn a wooden handle for it, but you'd have to hand wash it." She thinks on that a moment and says, "No thanks, that'd be too much trouble. I'll just throw it away." At which point she tosses the thing in the trash and I go back out to the shop. As I'm messing around, I come across this piece of Bois d'Arc that would be just perfect as a handle for that cake server. I'm thinking, if Bois d'Arc is used for fence posts that last for years, maybe it'll withstand being put through the dish washer. So I fished that broken cake server out of the trash and then turned a handle for it.

What you see in the picture is the caker server with a Bois d'Arc handle that has been through the dish washer at least a dozen or so times now. When I first put the handle on the cake server, it had some wax on it, but that's long gone now. What's amazing to me is how the surface on the handle is as smooth now, as it was when it first came off of the lathe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael Faurot; 04-30-2009 at 1:01 AM.

Traditional archers are those who use long bows and recurve bows. Osage orange has been used by traditional archers for centuries. The plains indians used to make their bows from it. My mother was taught to make one from from a Chief of the Winnebago tribe and I had it for many years before foolishly letting it go. If you had a piece long enough for a bow, and of good quality, a bowyer (one who makes bows) would pay well for it.

I use it for door pulls. Outside it greys but does not rot, and inside it takes on a nice patina as it ages and sucks up hand oil. I buff it with a clean wheel and let it go natural. Cheaper than Cocobolo and just as durable.

One man's trash, another man's treasure.

Chuck

Orange Osage can most certainly be milled into flat lumber. It's hard, dense and stable. Qsawn it can exhibit a lot of chatoyance, especially the Bois d' Arc.
    In some areas of the country it's a "trash wood", in others, like New England, it fetches a pretty penny. It has value.
    It has a funny(different) color than most people are used too, and that's why you don't see more of it as tables, dressers and such.

Qsaw some of it, and I think you'll see it's a beautiful wood. I have quite a bit of it in the shop that is going to get turned into a standing tool chest someday, but I could always use some more.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Zero Clearance Insert

I've seen Osage used for zero clearance inserts on table saws. Kelly Mehyr of Kentucky has one in his table saw video. Looked good.

I've also heard Osage being used to make carver mallets but I'm not sure how well they hold up.

Thanks

Thanks for all the good advice folks. I'm always pleased at how helpful woodworker/woodturners are. Between this and another forum I now count 14 serious suggestions. That's not counting those who offer to take the logs and dispose of them for us. All this good advice leads us to the conclusion we should saw the logs into 1" and 2" thickness, and maybe a couple cants thicker than that.

Some folks use OO for making block planes IIRC

Osage Orange

I have used Osage Orange for slot runners on jigs. They are hard, straight, and true. Works great.

I have used osage orange to make a blanket chest and a shaker end table. The end table I finished with oil and it quickly turned very dark brown. The chest I used a UV blocking film finish ( hydracote ) I believe, and it has stayed its original yellow. I have also had a compass plane and a spokeshave make out of it with good success. I'll try to get some pics up later today.

Loren

question about OO

I know OO saws OK, but do you dry it like other lumber before using it? When I have to drive staples in hedge posts, the old ones get so hard you can hardly drive staples into it without the wood cracking. So do you let it dry below 10% before planing it?

You could make a wooden car out of it like that Joe Harmon guy.