Thread: Police - No One's Available

Police - No One's Available

George Phillips of Meridian, Mississippi, who was going to bed when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the shed. George opened the door to go turn off the light but saw there were people in the shed in the process of stealing things.

He immediately phoned the police, who asked "Is someone in your house?" and George said no and explained the situation. Then they explained that all patrols were busy, and that he should simply lock his door and an officer would be there when available.

George said, "Okay," hung up, counted to 30, and phoned the police again.

"Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people in my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now because I've just shot them all."

Then he hung up. Within five minutes three squad cars, an Armed Response unit, and an ambulance showed up. Of course, the police caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the policemen said to George: "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"

George said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"

Now thats funny right there!

Urban myth:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/safety/response.asp

I wouldn't advise anyone to try this unless you want to spend some time in jail yourself for filing a false police report.

I think it's obvious it was more of a haha, funny story, not really based in truth. I got a good laugh!

Truth is certainly stranger than fiction at times, but I'm not sure the police would so easily blow off such a call!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Leonard View Post
    I think it's obvious it was more of a haha, funny story, not really based in truth. I got a good laugh!

Truth is certainly stranger than fiction at times, but I'm not sure the police would so easily blow off such a call!
    It was meant for humor purposes; if you notice I removed the beginning stating that it was a true story.

Blog Entries
    That is good for a laugh. At least the guy in the joke got the chance to be told to pound sand. I called 911 because a homeless guy was wandering around on the freeway; after 10 minutes of a recorded message, I hung up. Hope the old guy made it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

As someone who has had to call police 911 (two separate instances of muggings in progress) and the non-emergency line (large quantities of blood in a parking garage and on cars) and never got a response to any calls, I'm perhaps somewhat humorless on this topic.

I enjoyed that funny story too. It did bring me back to a true story that did happen this last winter. I'll start a separate thread to preserve this nice one.

You know the old saying: "When seconds count, the police are there in minutes." (Nothing against the police by saying that, it's just the reality.)
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Heard that one.

Makes me think the Castle Laws should be everywhere though.