Thread: Two planers?

Two planers?

I recently added a 12 year old DC-380 15" planer to my shop. The original plan was to use the Delta for general sizing with a final run through my DeWalt DW-735 for final sizing. I have a still in the box Byrd Shelix head for the DeWalt. Wouldn't need to worry about tearout or blade nicks on the first rough cut runs, and the blades would stay sharp for the final pass. Made some sense at the time, at least enough to rationalize the purchase.

Now, after running a few boards through quiet, powerful and smooth operating 220 DC-380 I'm having second thoughts. I knew the benchtop DW-735 was loud, but now it really screams in comparison. Space is always a concern, and I started to picture my miter saw on the cart that holds the DeWalt.

And then Byrd heads went on sale. I could probably sell the DeWalt and the still NIB Shelix head and nearly have enough to purchase Shelix heads for both the larger planer and my jointer. Hmmmmmm.

So what should I do? Keep the DeWalt and always have a sharp finish cut when planing? The final thickness cut would always be same; no need to change the depth until the end of a project. The machine should last forever with only light use.

Or do I reclaim the space, add a Shelix head to the jointer (the blades do need sharpening), and shock my wife by selling a tool? Decisions, decisions.

2 planers?! Man what a luxury. If it were me, I'd ditch the one of the planers. Throw the extra cash into getting a wider jointer. Now THAT'll save you time...

Blog Entries
    I have seen many shop tours where the lunchbox planer is stacked on top of the floor standing unit. those that do this state using the beast for bulk stock removal and the lunchbox for the smoother finish run as you describe. If I could stack them I would probably do it. If they both had to touch the floor, I would have to think about it real hard.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have been using a DC 380 for about 12 years. I run straight blades in it and get an excellent finish aside from an occasional nick in the blade, (minor sanding). The fold down tables work out well in my little shop. I say sell the 735 and helix head then buy the helix head for the DC380 if you REALLY want it. I just don't do enough curly stuff to justify the cost and the straight blades change out fairly quickly. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have seen many shop tours where the lunchbox planer is stacked on top of the floor standing unit. those that do this state using the beast for bulk stock removal and the lunchbox for the smoother finish run as you describe. If I could stack them I would probably do it. If they both had to touch the floor, I would have to think about it real hard.
    If the bigger planer has serrated rollers, the lunchbox makes a nice way to get rid of the marks from the rollers.....

Using 2 planers for every piece of wood you want to plane sounds like an incredible nuisance and waste of time. Get a decent planer and/or cutterhead that will give you the finish that you want and be done with it.
    Having 2 planers however can be handy. I keep a Delta lunchbox for when I need to do something where I don't want to use the big boy. Sometimes it's b/c I'm using a jig on the planer, other times b/c I want to plane something that might be unhealthy for the blades. It doesn't get a lot of use, but it's sure good to have
    good luck,
    JeffD

I am really thinking about picking up a second. Looking at the Ryobi. For a little over 200 I can have one to due rough work with and the 735 for finish. I envy you as to having 2 already.

I did the same thing. I have a woodmaster that I use for getting the wood close to the thickness, then use the DeWalt 735 for the finish pass. I feel
    like I am not being un-productive and the 735 leaves a better finish than the woodmaster

Lloyd, minus the shelix head for the Dewalt, I have been down that EXACT same road. I have a 735 my wife bought me when I got started in my basement shop, I bought an old DC-380 cheap at auction figuring it for a hogging machine and the dewalt for finish cuts. Phooey!

If properly set up with sharp knives the DC-380 IS your finish planer, the knives last SOOOO much longer than the steel knives on the Dewalt IT AIN"T FUNNY! The surface quality on the 380 is as good as the DeWalt with less snipe. And I don't miss either the noise or the very light depth of passes required to get that lunch box finish. Start taking off .0625" per pass on a lunch box and look at the surface quality then.

Nothing wrong with the DeWalt, it is what it is, very good tool in the portable weight class. And it is a lot cheaper new versus new to get the DeWalt than the DC-380. But coming from a guy that planed to do just what you are suggesting, I have barely used the Dewalt in three years, maybe twice? The more you get used to using an iron planer, a real machine if you will, the less inclined you will be to touch a lunch box, except of course at lunch time. I still have mine to take to job sites, though I'd rather go home at lunch to plane a board than bring the lunch box with me, so it sits in a corner waiting until I get smart enough to sell it and buy a bird head with the proceeds.

In my shop, I have a 380, and a Rockwell 13" that makes the 380 look like a "lunch box." But I also have two Delta 22-540's. Depending upon what I'm doing, the planer varies. For small, or short stuff, I go to the 22-540's. My local hardwood dealer stocks wood that is straight lined, and planed to 13/16", so it just goes through the lunch box. But when dressing lumber that is in the rough, it goes to one of the big boys. Because the 380 has the motor on the top, it would be hard to mount your 735 on top. Also, if life's situations changes, would you have room for the 380? If they are both paid for, I say "keep um!"

I picked up a Grizz 15 inch planer a while ago and got frustrated with the serrated roller marks, so I kep using my Delta 13 lunchbox for finishing boards. Then I sold the Griz and got a Woodmaster 718. I still haven't sold the delta. I tend to pull it out when I need more "precision" planing. I stil have a bit of outfeed snipe on my woodmaster, as well as a touch of the "waves" that so many complain about on the WM. I'm sure I can and eventually will fix the issue. but for now, it's easier to move forward with my projects and use the lunchbox. That, and there's really no market for used 13 inch planers right now, so I'd just as soon wait a bit to sell what I have.

I also have 2 planers. A 20" Grizzly and a Ridgid lunch box. I was going to get rid of the Ridgid, but find myself going to it for small stuff.