Thread: spalted panel worm defects-what to do?

spalted panel worm defects-what to do?

Hi,

I've just glued up some spalted maple cabinet door panels but I can't decide what to do about the numerous worm excavations. Many are completely packed with sawdust-like stuff which is solid but is easily scraped out. Other holes are open. Here is a picture:

Options I've considered are:

1) clean out all the packed holes and finish the panels with the open holes and call the defects "character";

2) clean out the packed holes and fill all holes with epoxy mixed with a) sawdust, b) black pigment, or c) clear epoxy;

3) try to stabilize the packed holes by coating them with epoxy rather than cleaning them out.

Also, I'd be grateful for suggestions on how to procede as well as any finishing suggestions once I get past the worm hole issue.

Thanks!!
    Mark

#3 - been there, done that. That "sawdust-like stuff" is called "frass", and it's the digested wood the borer pooped out.

If these are for a customer and there are numerous holes I would ask them and get their opinion. Because if you don't you'll be d-- if you do and d-- if you don't.

If they are for yourself and being a vertical surface then it's up to you. If it were something like a tabletop that could collect "stuff" then I would say fill them all. The holes with frass in them will soak up finish like a sponge and be nearly impossible to get as slick as the surrounding area if you leave them as is. You could use a wood filler of some kind. My preference would be to use wood flour cement mixed with sawdust but it might be hard for you to find and you might well have to buy a gallon. I have heard of mixing shellac with sawdust as a filler but have not tried it so can't rule on it. Mixing sawdust with wood glue works but for large areas may take two or three shots as it will shrink as it dries. Check to see that the open holes don't go all the way through and if they do plug one side before filling or a fairly thin filler will just run through. If you use an opaque filler then plugging with something up to close to the surface will limit the amount of filler needed.
    And now for something completely different....