Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat from rosewood

Quote Originally Posted by Deni Irawan View Post
    Thanks for all comments,
    i am just a small guy from the villages,i use those wood for musical instruments use and sometimes for furniture,
    and Todd, i did not mean to show off, i just want to get others thought from others woodworkers who realy wanna share what they knew, isnt it what the forums for,,,no ? i realy dont know anything about boat building,
    and all i have is rosewood, here check this out :
    http://picasaweb.google.com/deniirawan66

Cheers,
    i think paul was just pulling your leg deni, nice lumber, we pay 52$bf for cocobolo here in sunny saskatchewan where it is our rainy season also just frozen stuff though

Now i found myself realy comportable being a member of SCW,
    lots good guys here,

Thanks for all suggestion,

Cheers,

Hi Deni,

This appears to be you: http://www.alibaba.com/member/id100560815/aboutus.html

Is it? Nice stuff!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    Hi Deni,

This appears to be you: http://www.alibaba.com/member/id100560815/aboutus.html

Is it? Nice stuff!

Mike
    Ya Mike, that's mine but the site is still under construction,

Deni,

What part of Indonesia are you from? I just got back from a trip to Jakarta and Bali.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randy street View Post
    Deni,

What part of Indonesia are you from? I just got back from a trip to Jakarta and Bali.

Randy
    Hi Randy,

next time you come over here, let me know.
    i am living two hour drive from jakarta, its Bandung, west java,

Cheers,

That sure is pretty wood! Rosewood can be expensive to buy here, so it's kind of novelty to see such large beautiful pieces of it. Be sure to post some pics if you do build a boat from it!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

For boat building, you want to avoid really dense woods such as Rosewood, although sign me up if someone wants to import the stuff. I've got some woodworking projects I'd like to do out of Rosewood.
    But back to boats...

It's not so much the weight that's the problem (although it is a consideration). The problem has to do with expansion and contraction of the wood.
    If you use a dense wood, movement as a result of expansion and contraction over time will result in cracking and separating of the joints.
    But a soft wood such as Western Red Cedar or Mahogany will expand and contract into itself (compress itself) thus avoiding the huge stresses on the seams.

So no, Rosewood wouldn't be a very good wood for boatbuilding.
    But I'd sure like to talk about getting a couple hundred board feet of it if it could be brought in to the states at a reasonable price.