Thread: Jointer transportation process/methods?

Question Jointer transportation process/methods?

I am in the market for a used 6" jointer and have been keeping a close eye on Craigslist and eBay for good deals within 100 miles or so of my location.

I am looking to get a closed stand 6". Will also 'settle' for the Ridgid 6" since it's sort of half closed stand, half open stand and appears to have dust collection similar to the closed stand 6" models.

I want to be prepared to pick one up at a moments notice when the right opportunity presents itself.

What is going to be the best way to transport one of these tools?

I own a Toyota RAV4 (newer/larger body style) which should be able to hold one if I seperate the jointer from it's base. I also have access to my wifes Ford Explorer which has room to hold it as well, but again I suspect only if I seperate the machine from it's base.

Is this something that is easy to do? Will I cause any damaage transporting in this way?

What tools would I need to seperate base from jointer? Will a decent socket wrench set do? Other special tools needed? (I don't expect specific answers here since I don't have a specific model of jointer I am buying but general suggestions are welcome!)

I have access to borrow a pickup truck as a last resort, but it requires scheduling with the owner which could result in a lost Craigslist deal if I can't get ahold of the pickup in time.

Thanks in advance for any responses/suggestions as always.

Hi Michael, if it's one of the ubiquitous Taiwanese machines it should be easy to separate the jointer and base.

The hardware will probably be metric, so an appropriate socket set, some wrenches and a Philips screwdriver will probably suffice.

The motor normally stays in the base, so it helps make the jointer itself a bit lighter.

Two people (you and your wife for example) could easily lift the jointer and put it in the vehicle.

I like to lift them by hand closer to the center block than out at the table tips.

Regards, Rod.

I had a 6" closed stand Jet. Most 6"ers are small and light enough that you should be able to lay the machine on it's back and slide it in.

Just remember to remove the fence and do not move or support the machine by the end of the tables.

When I move a 6" jointer, I remove the fence, bring both tables up. Then I strap a board (2 X 6, or 2 X 8 to tables. Carefully turn jointer up side down and slide into back of the truck. Tie it off, so it can't shift, or turn up right. Reverse procedure on the delivery end. Helps to have two people, but being only 61, I can still do this by myself.

Most of the style you're looking at have a top that's easily removable from the stand with some bolts. FWIW, I easily fit a still-assembled 6" Delta (with enclosed base) in the back of my Explorer Sport - me and another guy just picked it up and slid it in on its front.