Thread: Elm Burl Bowls

Elm Burl Bowls

A couple of months ago a Lady in town called me up and said she had a elm tree with a large burl and asked me if I would be interested in it. She said her Grandfather planted the tree 80+ years ago.
    I went over to her place and cut the burl off, rough turned three bowls, let them dry and finished the bowls. I used a lot of super glue on the bowls as they dried to keep cracking to a minimum.
    I took the bowls back to the Lady and she was overjoyed at the results. She paid me handsomely for my effort.
    It made me feel good to see how pleased she was and I learned from the experience, and of course the money didn't hurt either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That big one has some great character, glad to hear you got the checking under control, that can be difficult. Nicely done.

Tom,
    Does that hurt the tree to remove the burl like that?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I am fascinated with the results from burl turnings. I have a couple of burls I picked up in various places, but don't have a clue how to cut them up to get a turnable piece. Does anyone know where I could find some advice on how to cut them up? What kind of shape to strive for? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Vail View Post
    I am fascinated with the results from burl turnings. I have a couple of burls I picked up in various places, but don't have a clue how to cut them up to get a turnable piece. Does anyone know where I could find some advice on how to cut them up? What kind of shape to strive for? Thanks
    Pictures would be good for advice here (but start a new thread)
    Otherwise, find a local turning club and make friends... We ALL have opinions
    Change One Thing

Dewey, I don't know if it hurts the tree or not. When I took the bowls back we looked at the tree and it did not look like it was harmed, of course time will tell. The Lady wanted me to cut the burl off so I did. If it had been a tree I valued, I might not have.
    As far as how to cut up a burl, I tried to visualize how many round objects I could get out of it. I placed round cutout circles on the burl and let that be my guide when I went to the bandsaw.
    Here's a couple of more pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking bowls Tom. Nice form, wood and finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very cool. Great wood and shapes

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Tom,
    Does that hurt the tree to remove the burl like that?

I'm not an arborist, but it is my understanding that cutting the burl in this manner does not hurt the tree, in fact I think it will continue to grow

10. very nice bowls I have a few big Oak burls I need to try to turn

Good looking bowls Tom! Got some amazing grain and color! Very nice work! I can see why the Lady was thrilled with your turnings! Hope it leads to many more sales for you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!