Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segmented Vase for a worthy cause

Segmented Vase for a worthy cause

My daughter has a friend that has CF. She is due to have a double lung transplant and is having a benefit to raise money for the operation. It is a fairly large scale benefit and I offered to donate a vase for a silent auction. I needed something fairly quick, so I did not have time for a feature ring or something real complicated. I compromised by using some very nice wood and making the vase fairly large. LOML already told me that she is going to bid on it, because she thinks it looks good on a table we have.

Curly maple and walnut. 15.5" tall and 10" in diameter. Antique oil finish.
    I have a couple photos of the bottom to show the floating panel in the bottom that I used to prevent separation of the bottom in a piece this large. It really stands out since the wood colors are so different. It makes the bottom much nicer than trying to use a disc of solid wood, plus there is no end grain to contend with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Absolutely beautiful vase Robert! Love the wood, the design and the finish! Hope the vase sets a record for amount brought in at the auction! Beautiful work - great cause! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thats really a great piece, bet it brings a good price!

Excellent piece Robert ! Love the curly maple.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Robert, it may not be complicated by your standards but it sure it beautiful. I hope it raises quite a bit of money for such a worthy cause even if it's your wife who goes home with it.

Great job.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Smile Turning for charity

Robert,

Very nice vase, what makes it more spectacular is the reason you had for making it.
    Having the ability to create art and then giving it to a charitable cause is wonderful feeling.
    Keep up the good work.
    Mark Placek
    The Square Bowl Gallery

Robert,

Beautiful piece and nice work on the bottom! A splendid contribution for a worthy cause.
    Richard in Wimberley

Robert that is a beauty. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Robert....I like it!

I hope it sells for a goodly amount!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Man that is a beauty!! Im sure it will bring some nice funds for the cause. I hope your daughters friend gets well very soon!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Robert, great job; hope it brings in a good price. Love to see the "floating base"; it really does solve the cross-grain problem.

That is a beauty thats for sure. You said you needed something fairly quick? That would take me a month. Good luck with the auction.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

very nice vase - could someone explain to me the concept of a 'floating base'? is it a piece of wood that fits into a slot, unglued, or just what? thanks, mike

Beautiful work by a GREAT man for an unfortunate but very worthy cause...
    I hope it goes for a million $$$
    Change One Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    very nice vase - could someone explain to me the concept of a 'floating base'? is it a piece of wood that fits into a slot, unglued, or just what? thanks, mike
    Mike, the concept behind a floating base is similiar to that of a frame and panel cabinet door. In this case, it's a disc of wood, trapped in a groove, and not glued in place. It's free to move without putting stress on the capturing rings. The most common wood movement problem in segmented work is in the base area. The floating base technique solves that problem. In stave construction, it's particularly effective; a disc of wood can be held in place with a segmented ring in which the segments are cut with vertical grain, so everything can happily co-exist.